Medication To Treat Hypertension and Other Heart-Related Disorders
Hypertension is a disease related to heart because of high blood pressure. High blood pressure leads the heart to work under pressure. The heart has to put more effort to pump blood. This develops stress on the heart and gives rise to other different heart-related diseases. It can even lead to heart failure.
Ramipril is used in the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension) and other heart-related disorders.
How do Ramipril Works?
Ramipril belongs to the class of drugs called as angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. Angiotensin II is a natural compound produced by ACE. It is part of body’s natural control of blood pressure. Ramipril blocks the action of ACE. This, in turn, reduces the production of angiotensin II Reduced levels of this compound allows the blood vessel to relax and widen. All the above changes lower the blood pressure. Lowered blood pressure reduces the effort of heart to pump blood around the body.
How to take Ramipril?
- Ramipril is available in the form of a tablet.
- They are of different strengths -1.25 mg, 2.5 mg, 5 mg and 10 mg. The dose depends on,
- The condition being treated.
- How well you tolerate the drug.
- For Hypertension and kidney problems.
-Initial dose- 1.25 mg in a day.
-Maximum dose- 5 mg in a day.
- For myocardial infarction.
-Initial dose-2.5mg two times in a day.
-Maximum dose-5 mg two times in a day.
-Initial dose- 2.5 mg in a day.
Children: use and dose are to determine by your doctor according to the need of the patient.
- You can take the above medicine with or without food.
- But it is important to take around the same time every day.
- The drug can make you feel dizzy. Better to take at bedtime.
- Your doctor may adjust the dose as needed.
- He may add a diuretic for better effect.
What are the uses of Ramipril?
- Ramipril is useful in the treatment of Hypertension (High blood pressure).
- Relax blood vessels. This allows easy flow of blood putting less strain on the heart for pumping blood.
- Decrease the blood pressure.
- Lowering blood pressure help to prevent other problems like,
- Heart failure.
- Risk of a heart attack.
- Death due to heart disease.
- Helps survival of people who have heart failure after suffering from heart attack.
- Treats kidney disease or worsening of it in people with or without diabetes.
What are the precautions in taking Ramipril?
- Discuss with your Doctor regarding the good and the risk factors it will do. Consider certain condition that may create problems. Inform your doctor if you have/are,
- Allergic to Ramipril of other such drugs.
- Any other type of allergy.
- Kidney disease.
- A diabetic patient using aliskiren.
- Fluid and electrolyte imbalance.
- Liver disease.
- Heart or blood vessel disease.
- Diet and exercise are essential along with the above drug for best results.
- It will not cure but control your blood pressure. Take your medicine on time.
- Be cautious, as the drug may make you feel dizzy. Be alert if you drive or use heavy machinery.
- Contact your doctor in case of any side effects and continue the treatment according to the doctor.
Cost of Ramipril (Generic and Brand)
Generic medicines are the best source of cheap drugs. They show the effect as the brand ones. Both Generic and Brand drug contain Ramipril as an active ingredient. The difference lies in their packaging, pricing, and the Brand Name.
Cost of Generic Ramipril.
- Cost of pack of 30 tablets is given below.
Strength price price per unit
1) 1.25 mg $5 $ 0.17
2) 2.5 mg $8 $ 0.27
3) 5 mg $16 $ 0.53
4) 10 mg $24 $ 0.8
Cost of Brand Altace.
- Cost of pack of 30 capsules is given below.
Strength price price per unit
1) 1.25 mg $170.60 $ 5.69
2) 2.5 mg $ 201.02 $ 6.70
3) 5 mg $ 210.82 $ 7.03
4) 10 mg $ 246.38 $ 8.21