Treatment of Hypertension or High Blood Pressure
Atenolol Chlorthalidone is a combination medicine prescribed by most doctors for the treatment of hypertension or high blood pressure. It is made up of Atenolol, a beta-blocker, and Chlorthalidone, a diuretic. Atenolol affects the circulation of the blood while Chlorthalidone helps prevent the body from absorbing too much salt.
It’s one of the most commonly used beta-blockers/ diuretic. It’s a first-choice treatment for heart attack recovery and angina pectoris particularly to those with kidney problems and heart diseases. At a lower dose, this medication has fewer side effects compared with other drugs of its kind. The combination was approved for medical use by the FDA since 1984.
What condition does Atenolol Chlorthalidone treat?
Atenolol is used for the treatment of high blood pressure. High blood pressure or hypertension is a common condition that nearly half of American adults have it. It occurs when your blood pressure increases to an abnormal and unhealthy level. High blood pressure typically develops over the course of several years oftentimes without symptoms. Even without symptoms, damage to your blood vessels and heart continues.
Too high pressure can put strains on your blood vessels, heart, and other vital organs such as your kidney and brain. Uncontrolled blood pressure increases your risk of serious health problems like stroke, heart attack, loss of vision, kidney problems, and many more.
How does Atenolol Chlorthalidone work?
- As a beta-blocker, Atenolol works by:
- Lowering the blood pressure
- Blocking the effects of certain natural chemicals on the heart and blood vessels
- Reducing the heart rate making easier for the heart to pump blood
- Treating abnormally rapid heart rhythms
- Reduces the workload of the heart
- Atenolol targets the heart instead of other parts of the body that’s why it has fewer side effects. It blocks the beta receptors found in the
- A diuretic is effective in preventing stroke and heart attack. This water pill lowers your blood pressure by flushing out excess salt from your body.
- It causes your body to pass more urine than usual. It causes your kidney to increase the amount of salt such as sodium and potassium from being filtered out of the blood and into the urine.
- As salt is being filtered out, they draw water along with them. Removing excess water that circulates through the blood subsequently decreases the blood pressure.
What is the dosage of Atenolol Chlorthalidone?
- The typical recommended dose is one tablet once a day. The initial dose should be 50mg/ 25mg a day. Your doctor may increase your dose to 100mg/ 25mg a day if blood pressure control is not adequate.
- The onset of action can be observed within an hour after administration. The duration of the effects can last for an average of 24 hours.
How to take Atenolol Chlorthalidone?
- Take this medication exactly as prescribed by your physician. Do not take more or less than the recommended dose of for longer than the required duration of treatment.
- Your first dose can make you feel dizzy that’s why it’s best that you take it before bedtime. If you do not feel dizzy, you can take it during the daytime.
- Remember to take it at the same time each day. If you are taking two separate doses, leave 10 to 12 hours apart between each doses.
- Do not stop taking this medicine all of a sudden especially if you have heart disease. Doing this can worsen your condition. Keep using your medicine even if you feel well. Remember that high blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to take Atenolol for the rest of your life.
- Swallow the tablet whole with plenty of water. Take this with food if it upsets your stomach.
- For a missed dose, take it as soon as you remember but if it’s almost time for you to take the next dose, skip it and follow the regular schedule.
What are the precautions in taking Atenolol Chlorthalidone?
- Do not use this medication if you have:
- Kidney failure
- Uncontrolled heart failure
- Severe liver disease
- Addison’s disease
- Your kidney doesn’t produce urine
- Low blood pressure
- Increase the acidity of the blood
- Very slow heart rate
- High calcium in the blood
- Untreated tumor of the adrenal gland
- Low salt levels
- A serious defect in the heart’s electrical messages pathways
- Use this with caution if you have:
- Decrease kidney and liver functions
- History of asthma and other breathing difficulties
- Overactive thyroid gland
- Abnormal muscle weakness
- History of heart failure
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Poor blood circulation in the arteries of the extremities
- History of allergies
- A severe form of chest pain
- Atenolol/ Chlorthalidone is not suitable for use by pregnant or breastfeeding women. It’s not also recommended for use by children. Pregnant or breastfeeding women can take this only if deemed necessary by the physician.
- This medicine can mask the early warning symptoms of low blood sugar. Use this with care among patients who are receiving treatment for diabetes.
- Combining this medicine with other blood pressure-lowering medication can reduce your blood pressure or slow down your heart rate which can lead to very low blood pressure or too low heart rate.
- Avoid alcohol consumption during your treatment as this can increase your risk of side effects like dizziness, fainting, headache, and changes in heart rate.
- It is also not advisable to perform activities that require wakefulness like driving.
- In case of surgery, which includes a dental procedure, tell your doctor ahead of time that you are using Atenolol/ Chlorthalidone.
- Your doctor will have to test your blood more often to monitor the function of your kidney and the salt level in your blood.
- In case of symptoms such as muscle cramps, weakness, confusion, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, abnormal heart rhythm, and seizure, contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Costs of Generic Atenolol Chlorthalidone vs. Tenoretic
Atenolol/ Chlorthalidone is an inexpensive beta-blocker/ diuretic combination used in treating high blood pressure. It is much cheaper compared with the brand name Tenoretic. Atenolol/ Chlorthalidone 100mg/ 25mg cost $0.35 per unit price or $21 for 60 pills. The brand name Tenoretic costs $310.30 for 60 pills or $5.17 per unit price.
– This article is solely presented by rx2go.com for information purposes. Seek a licensed physician and you always check with a doctor.