Medication for Adequate Control of Your Blood Pressure
High blood pressure (Hypertension) is a condition in which the blood pressure in the arteries is persistently elevated. You may have high blood pressure without any symptoms for years. But it could cause health-related problems later.
Irbesartan hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is useful in the treatment of high blood pressure. It is used along with other medication for adequate control of your blood pressure.
How do Irbesartan HCTZ works?
Irbesartan HCTZ is a combination of two substances or drugs.
- Irbesartan: – It belongs to a class of drugs called angiotensin- receptor blocker (ARB). Angiotensin ll is produced in the body which causes tightening of blood vessels. Irbesartan blocks the Angiotensin to relax your blood vessels. This results to lower your blood pressure.
- Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ):-It belongs to the class of medication known as diuretics. It reduces the amount of water in the body by the production of more urine. When used in combination with other medication, it helps to lower blood pressure.
They together show improved effects to lower hypertension when used in the combined form. It also helps to increase the supply of oxygen & blood to the heart.
How to take Irbesartan HCTZ works?
The medicine is available in the form of a tablet. Strength is 150/12.5 mg.
- Starting dose- lower dose than 150/12.5 mg one time in a day.
- Usual dose- 150/12.5 mg once in a day
- Maximum dose- 300 mg / 12.5 mg each day.
Children- Safety and efficacy in case of children are not established.
The dose may be changed or increased depending on your response to the dose. Take a tablet with a glass of water. Consume the tablet around the same time each day for best results. You can take it with or without food.
What are the uses of Irbesartan HCTZ works?
- Irbesartan HCTZ is used to treat high blood pressure.
- Lowering blood pressure reduces the workload on heart and arteries.
- Reduces the damage to blood vessels of the brain, heart, and kidney by lowering B.P.
- Reduce the risk of heart attack, kidney failure or stroke.
- Increase the volume of urine to reduce the blood pressure.
- Relax your blood vessels to allow easy flow of blood.
- Thus increase oxygen and blood supply to the heart.
- Increase in the volume of urine helps your body get rid of extra salts and water.
What are the precautions in taking Irbesartan HCTZ works?
- It is necessary to consider certain conditions while taking Irbesartan HCTZ. Inform your doctor or ask him if you have/are,
- Allergic to above medicine.
- Any other allergies.
- If you have/had other medical conditions.
- Kidney problems.
- Liver disease.
- Heart disease.
- Electrolyte imbalance.
- Pregnant or plan to be pregnant.
- Planning to have dental or any other surgery.
- Inform your doctor about all other medicine you take to avoid drug interaction.
- Drink enough water.
- Be careful while doing jobs like driving or operating a machinery. The drug in some people may cause dizziness or light headedness.
- Avoid alcohol.
Cost of Irbesartan HCTZ (Generic and brand).
Generic and brand drugs contain same active ingredients. So they both show the same effect. Cost is the main difference between them. We directly compete on price, resulting in a lower price for consumers. Generic drugs do not need to do research and development that needs hundreds of millions of dollar. This and other cost-saving measures further reduce the cost of the generic drug.
Cost of Generic Irbesartan HCTZ.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 150/12.5 mg costs $ 49, per unit costs $ 0.82.
Cost of Brand Avalide.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 150/12.5 mg costs $ 489.84, per unit cost is $ 8.16.