Medication that Treats Acute Worsening of Chronic Bronchitis
Moxifloxacin HCl is an antibiotic. It treats bacterial infections like pneumonia and others. It is a broad spectrum antibacterial drug. It treats a range of bacterial disease. It received approval from FDA in 1999 in the United States.
How do the Moxifloxacin HCl works?
The drug belongs to the class of anti-biotics called as fluoro-quinolones. This will not work on viral infections.
- DNA gyrase and topoisomerase enzymes are responsible for
- DNA replication.
iii. Partitioning of chromosomal DNA.
- DNA repair during the division of the bacterial cell.
- The above drug binds with this enzymes and inhibits its activity.
- This prevents the replication, repair, and separation of DNA.
- By this process, it stops bacterial growth and reproduction. This kills the bacteria.
How to take Moxifloxacin?
- The drug is available in the form of a tablet of strength 400 mg.
- The General dose is 400 mg (single tablet) one time in a day.
- The time of treatment depends on the type of infection. Generally, it is between 5-14 days comment.
- You can take a tablet with or without food.
- Use in children may cause permanent injury to muscles and bones.
- Safety and efficacy for children <18 years is unknown.
What are the uses of Moxifloxacin HCl?
- It is an antibiotic used in wide range of bacterial infection.
- FDA has approved it for the treatment of bacterial infections like
- Acute worsening of chronic bronchitis.
- It is also useful in bacterial infections of
- Acute Sinus Infections
- Treats pneumonia in HIV patients.
- It may be used for other reasons not indicated in medication guide.
What are the precautions in taking Moxifloxacin HCl?
It is important to consider certain conditions.
- NSAIDs class may increase the risk of CNS stimulation and convulsions’.
- Safety and efficacy in case of children under age of 18 are not established.
- Don’t use in combination with a corticosteroid.
- Don’t use with Antacids that contain aluminum and magnesium iron. It will reduce absorption of above drug.
- No well-controlled studies show safety to use of above drug in pregnancy and in breastfeeding.
- Take to your Doctor if you have/are,
- Allergy to above drug.
- Any other allergies.
- Severe kidney problems.
- Diabetic patient.
- History of organ transplant.
Inform your doctor about all other medicines you take to avoid drug interactions.
Cost of Moxifloxacin HCl (Generic & Brand)
Generic and brand drug show same basic active ingredient. They differ in their price. Generic medicines are cheaper than Brand ones. Brand companies spend a big amount of research and development of the product. They have to pay for advertising, packaging & pricing of the drug. Generic medicines do not spend much on these things.
- Cost of Generic Moxifloxacin HCL.
10 tabs of 400 mg costs $ 55, per unit cost, is $ 5.5.
10 tabs of 400 mg costs $ 242.21, per unit cost, is $ 24.22.