Treating Heart Disease and Kidney Problems
Captopril is an oral prescription drug. It can to treat heart disease and kidney problems. It is also use to improve survival after a heart attack.
Captopril is an angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor. It is a medication that can slow the activity of ACE from making the blood vessels narrow.
What condition does Captopril treats?
- Captopril can treat:
- Chronic heart failure
- High blood pressure
- Dysfunction of left ventricle of the heart
- Captopril can prevent:
- Kidney failure due to high blood pressure and diabetes
- Captopril can improve your chances of survival after a heart attack.
How does Captopril works?
Captopril works by relaxing and opening your blood vessels. It inhibits the activity of ACE. As a result, your blood vessel will enlarge and your blood pressure decreases. This allows your heart to pump blood easier. The function of your failing heart improves too. If you have disease in your kidney’s blood vessels, the progression will slow down.
What is the dosage in taking Captopril?
- The recommended dosage in treating high blood pressure in adult is 25-50 mg for 2-3 times a day.
- For heart failure, the recommended dose is 6.25-12.5 mg 3 times a day. The maximum dose is 450 mg a day.
- For kidney problem, take 25 mg every 8 hours.
- Take captopril on an empty stomach one to two hours before meal.
How to take Captopril?
- Take captopril as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take the medication one hour before the meal.
- Do not use this prescription medication longer than the recommended dose.
- While taking captopril drink plenty of water.
- If you have high blood pressures use the medication even if you feel well.
What are the precautions in taking Captopril?
- Ask your doctor if Captopril is safe for you to take even if you have:
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Organ transplant
- Heart disease
- Captopril can cause severe allergic reaction. Do not take this medicine if you are allergic with any ingredients of Captopril.
- Captopril can increase the level of potassium. Consult your doctor if you are taking any salt supplements.
- Captopril is not recommended during pregnancy. It can harm the unborn child.
- Captopril is not recommended for use in children 18 years below.
Costs of Generic Captopril vs Branded
Generic Captopril is cheaper than the brand named Capoten. Captopril 12.5 mg costs $0.23 per unit price or $20.85 for 90 caps. While the branded Capoten 12.5 mg costs $0.46 per unit price or $ 40.95 for 90 caps. To order generic Captopril at Rx 2 Go Pharmacy, Click Here!