Medication To Help Issues in Urinary Retention Associated BPH
Doxazosin is used to treat high blood pressure. It is also helpful in Urinary retention associated with begin prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Hypertension is another name for high blood pressure. High BP and heart disease are the global health concerns. Causes of hypertension include stress, lifestyle and other underlying conditions like Kidney disease. If kidneys don’t filter out fluid, then the excess fluid lead to hypertension.
How does Doxazosin work?
Doxazosin belongs to a class of drugs called alpha-1 adrenergic blockers. It is an oral drug. The drug relaxes blood vessels which allows easy flow of blood through them. The process leads to lower the blood pressure.
The prostate gland is only found in men. The gland prostate may enlarge by the increasing age. This condition is called begin prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The enlarged size creates a pressure on the Urethra and the flow of Urine uneasy. BPH can lead to other symptoms like
- Difficulty passing Urine.
- Being unable to completely empty the bladder.
- Need to pass urine often or urgently.
Doxazosin causes the muscles in the prostate to relax. This, in turn, relieves pressure on Urethra and allows easy flow of Urine and other symptoms.
How to take Doxazosin?
It is available in the form of a tablet of strength 1 mg and 2 mg.
General dose– 1 tablet (1 mg) one time in a day. The dose can be doubled every 1-2 weeks. Take a tablet at bedtime.
Maximum Dose-8 mg/day for BPH.
- 16 mg/day for High blood pressure.
Maintenance Dose- 1 mg to 8 mg once a day at bedtime.
- The safety and effectiveness are not been established in children.
What are the uses of Doxazosin?
- Doxazosin is used to treat hypertension.
- Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent strokes, heart attack, and kidney problem.
- It improves urination in men with BPH disease.
- Relax blood vessels and allows blood flow to become easy.
- It helps to relieve symptoms of BPH such as.
- Difficulty in beginning the flow of urine.
- Need to urinate frequently.
- Weak stream.
- Urgent Urination.
- It can be used for other reasons. Ask your Doctor for more information.
What are the Precautions in taking Doxazosin?
- Discuss with your Doctor, certain condition which may create complications in using the above drug. Inform your Doctor if you have/are.
- Allergic to Doxazosin or other components in it.
- Any other allergies.
- History of heart disease in last 6 months.
- Liver disease.
- Certain eye problem.
- Dental or any surgery including the eye.
- The drug may cause first dose fainting or sudden loss of consciousness. Avoid things that need to be alert.
- Inform your Doctor about all other medicines you take to avoid drug interaction.
- Confirm the symptoms of prostate cancer or bladder problems.
Cost of Doxazosin (Generic or Brand)
Both Generic and Brand drugs contain nearly the same active ingredient. Thus they the same effect. But they differ in their price. Brand medicines are costlier than generic ones. They include the cost of marketing, packaging, Research, and development of the drug.
- Cost of Generic Doxazosin.
- Cost of 30 tablets of 1 mg costs $ 7, per unit, costs $ 0.23.
- Cost of 30 tablets of 2 mg costs $ 12, per unit, costs $ 0.4.
- Cost of Brand Cardura.
- Cost of 30 tablets of 1 mg & 2 mg costs$ 159.92, per unit costs $ 5.33.