Treating Certain Types Of Infections Caused by Bacteria
Cephalexin is an oral prescription drug. It is an antibiotic. It can treat certain types of infections caused by bacteria.
Cephalexin works the same way as how penicillin works. It can stop the growth of bacteria by killing the bacteria. However, this drug will not work for viral infections. Cephalexin comes in liquid and tablet forms.
What condition does Cephalexin treats?
Cephalexin can treat:
- Bone infections
- Skin and skin structure infections
- infections of the middle ear
- Urinary tract infections
- Pharyngitis (sore throat)
- Bacterial pneumonia
- Lung infections
- Tonsillitis (Strep throat)
- Bladder infections
How does Cephalexin works?
Cephalexin can stop the growth of bacteria. It works by preventing bacteria from forming their cell walls. The cell wall protects them from their environment. It keeps the bacteria’s cell content intact. Without their cell wall, bacteria will not survive.
What is the dosage in taking Cephalexin?
The general guidelines are:
- If you are an adult your recommended dose is 250 mg every 6 hours. However, some infections may need 500 mg every 12 hours. You have to take the prescription medications for 7 to 14 days.
- For children over 1 year of age, their dose is based on their body weight. Their recommended dosage is 25-50 mg for every kg a day. Let them take the medications for a period of 7-14 days.
How to use Cephalexin?
- Take Cephalexin just as you are told.
- Take the medication by mouth with a glass of water.
- Take the medicine every 6-12 hours with or without food. But to prevent stomach upset, you can take it with food.
- Even if you feel well continue taking the medicine. You have to complete the full course of treatment.
- For suspensions, you need to shake the bottle well. Use a syringe or a dosage cup instead of spoon in measuring the liquids. You may not get the correct dose if you will use a spoon.
What are the precautions in using Cephalexin?
- Before using this medication tell your doctor if:
- You are allergic to penicillin with symptoms such as:
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of tongue and throat
Taking this medicine again can be fatal.
- You have any allergies.
- You have health problems such as:
- kidney disease
- stomach and intestinal disease
- Do not skip or miss a dose. Skipping may increase your risk of further infections. It can make the bacteria more resistant to antibiotic.
Costs of Cephalexin
The generic brand Cephalexin is cheaper than the brand name Keplex. Cephalexin 500 mg costs $0.5 per unit price or $30.00 for 60 caps. While the branded Keplex 500 mg costs $9.22 per unit price or $553.76 for 60 caps. To order Cephalexin at Rx 2 Go Pharmacy, Click Here!