Treating Outer Ear Infections in Adults and Children
Ciprofloxacin and Dexamethasone are useful to treat outer ear infections in adults and children. It is also helpful in acute middle ear tubes infections in children with ear tubes. This is a combination of two drugs to give a better effect. One is corticosteroid and other reduces the swelling. Thus it is an antibiotic combination product. The product is active against most gram-negative bacteria and many other types of bacteria.
How does Ciprofloxacin – Dexamethasone otic works?
Ciprofloxacin belongs to the class of drugs called quinolone antibiotics. Dexamethasone is in the class of the drug called corticosteroid. Thus the combination product kills the bacteria causing infection and reduces the swelling in the ear.
- The product changes the pathological process due to bacterial infection and cures the disease.
- It inhibits an enzyme called the DNA gyrase.
- This, in turn, stops the synthesis of DNA of the Bacterial Cell.
- Hence it kills the bacteria and the other ingredient in the product reduce the swelling of the ear.
- Ciprofloxacin is also active against the Bacteria which produces beta-lactamases.
What are the uses of the product Ciprofloxacin/ Dexamethasone Otic?
The above combination product is used in various bacterial infections of the ear. This only treats a bacterial ear infection. So it will not work for other types of ear infection. Treats following ear infections
- Middle ear infection in children with ear tubes.
- Outer ear infection in children and adults.
- Reduces ear Swelling and discomfort.
- It may also be used for other purposes not mentioned in the medication guide.
How to use Ciprofloxacin / Dexamethasone Otic?
Ciprofloxacin is not an oral medicine. Use it only in the ears. It is available in the form of a bottle of ear drops. Doses: – General dose is 4 drops in the infected ear(s) 2 times a day. Continue this for 7 days.
Method to use:
- Shake well whenever to use.
- Hold the bottle for 1 or 2 minutes to warm the medicine before you use.
- Lie down your head with your ear facing upwards.
- Hold the bottle and put the no. 0f drops in that ear, as per doctor’s prescription.
- Stay in the same position for 60 seconds.
- You may plug the ear into a small piece of cotton to avoid it from draining out.
- Don’t touch the tip of the bottle.
- Wipe the tip with a clean tissue.
- You should use the medicine until the entire dose completes.
What are the precautions with Ciprofloxacin Dexamethasone Otic?
There is certain precaution while using this product.
- Avoid the medicine in your eyes.
- Do not use in combination with other ear medicine. Ask your doctor regarding this.
- Don’t use in patient younger than 6 months
- There are no controlled data on pregnancy & Breastfeeding inhuman. Ask your doctor before use.
- Consult your doctor if you have fluid flowing from the ear.
Cost of Ciprofloxacin / Dexamethasone otic [Generic & Brand]
The above combination product is available at a cheaper rate as the generic medicine. We try to do this through direct sourcing from the producers, bulk ordering, and other cost-cutting methods. These efforts help us to provide you cheap and best quality medicine online.
- Cost of one bottle (10 ml) of generic product discussed above (0.3% / 0.1% w/v) is $ 20.99.
- Cost of one bottle (7.5 ml) of brand Ciprodex (0.3% / 0.1% w/v) is $ 214.52.