Restoring the Balance of Serotonin Activity in the Brain
Citalopram is an oral antidepressant drug. It is a prescriptive drug that belongs to the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Citalopram is approved to treat depression by U.S Food and Drug Administration. This prescription medication works by restoring the balance of serotonin activity in the brain.
What condition does Citalopram treats?
Citalopram can treat depression. It is also used in treating:
How does Citalopram works?
Citalopram works by preventing the uptake of serotonin by nerve cells. Reducing the uptake causes more serotonin in the brain to stimulate the nerve cells.
What is the dosage for citalopram?
Recommended dose for citalopram tablet:
Initial dosage: 20 mg once a day
Maintenance dosage: 20 to 40 mg once a day
Maximum dosage: 40 mg once a day
- Children: 10 mg a day
- 60 years of age and up: 20 mg once a day
- Liquid citalopram: 4 drops is equal to 10mg tablet
How to take Citalopram?
- Take the medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take the drug at a low dose.
- Do not take more than the prescribed dosage. Your condition will not improve and your risk for side effects will only increase.
- Take Citalopram once a day with or without food. It’s best to take the drug in the morning.
- Keep using the drug even if your symptoms do not improve. Symptoms usually improve after 4 weeks.
- Do not stop taking Citalopram suddenly. Stopping the drug all of a sudden may result to unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
- Take the medication regularly.
What are the precautions in taking Citalopram?
- Inform your doctor if you have any health problems.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking other prescription medications.
- Do not use this medicine if you are allergic to citalopram.
- Consult your doctor if you’re trying to get pregnant before taking this drug. Citalopram can affect an unborn child.
- Citalopram is not recommended for children below 18 years of age without the advised of your doctor.
- Consult your doctor as soon as possible if your symptom is getting worse.
Costs of Generic Citalopram
Citalopram generic is cheaper than the brand named Celexa. Citalopram 10 mg costs $0.40 per unit price or $12.00 for 30 tabs. While the branded Celexa 10 mg costs $8.33 per unit price or $ 249.90 for 30 tabs. To buy generic Citalopram at Rx 2 Go Pharmacy, Click Here!