Medication Approved for the Treatment of Acne Vulgarism
Clindamycin topical gel is a topical anti-biotic gel approved for the treatment of acne vulgarism. It is one of the most common skin diseases. It is thought to kill bacteria that cause a health problem. It may lead to disfiguring or permanent scarring on the face. This can affect the confidence of the people who suffer from the disorder. It gives relief from the symptoms of acne.
How does Clindamycin topical gel work?
Clindamycin topical gel phosphate. It is used to treat severe acne. The gel belongs to the class of medication called lincomycin antibiotics. It is bacterial protein synthesis inhibitor. It inhibits ribosomal translocation. This happens as it blinds to 50 s r-RNA of the Ribosome unit. The peptide chain initiation is affected. Thus it works by killing sensitive bacterial cell that cause acne. It also helps to reduce the amount of free fatty acids that irritate the skin surface.
What are the uses of Clindamycin topical gel?
- Topical Clindamycin is useful in the treatment of acne.
- It stops or slows the growth of bacteria causing acne.
- Decrease the swelling on the infected area.
- Reduce the amount of free fatty acids that cause irritation of the skin surface. Thus gives relief from irritation.
- Helps to decrease the number of acne lesions.
- It can be used for the purpose not listed in the medication guide. Ask your doctor regarding this.
- It doesn’t cross the brain and CSF.
- Sometimes indicated for the treatment of anaerobic and mixed infection causing abdominal, pelvic and lung abscesses.
- In AIDs patients, it is used in combination with other medication.
How to use Clindamycin topical gel?
It is available in the form of tube or gel of strength 1% (10 gm). It is for use only on the skin.
- 12 years & older- Apply a thin film to the affected area 2 times in a day.
- In case of the large surface area more than 1 tubes may be used at a time.
Direction to use
- Wash your hand before & after the use.
- Wash the affected area with Lake Warm water & soap. Rinse & pat dry that area.
- Apply the gel to the whole affected area and not only the pimples.
- Continue using the gel every day for months or even longer in some cases. Incomplete treatment may allow your symptoms to return.
What are the precautions in using Clindamycin topical gel?
- It is important to consider and take precaution in certain conditions. Discuss or ask your doctor if you have/ are
- Inflammation of your intestine (also called enteritis Ulcerative colitis).
- Severe diarrhea caused by antibiotic medicine.
- It is not known whether it passes into the breast milk. Ask your doctor if you breast feed.
- Discuss with your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to pregnant. The effects of the drug are not expected to harm an unborn baby.
- Don’t use this gel on children who are younger than 12 years old or confirm with your doctor.
- Don’t use the gel on
- Open wounds.
- Wind burn.
- Dry chapped.
- Irritated skin.
Cost of (Generic and Brand)
Generic medicines and brand medicine have the same basic active ingredient. They show same effect on your body. But generic drugs are cheaper as compared to the brand ones.
Generic Clindamycin topical gel 1 % (10 gm) pack of 4 tubes costs $ 41.23. This means cost of per tube is $ 10.31. If we consider the tube of Brand cleocin T gel with same active ingredient, the cost of 1 tube (30g) costs $ 154.89. So one should go for generic drugs instead of just looking for a brand name.