Medication to Improve Ovulation In Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Ovulation is the process of release of eggs from the ovaries. It takes place one time in every menstrual cycle. In this period, the changes in hormone stimulate an ovary to release an egg. Ovulation takes place 12 to 16 days before your next period starts. Some women suffer from a medical condition that prevents natural ovulation.
Clomiphene is used to improve ovulation in women with a condition like Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
How does Clomiphene works?
Clomiphene belongs to the class of the drug called as ovulatory stimulants. Estrogen is a female hormone that allows the egg to develop in the ovaries. It also helps to release it from an ovary. i.e., ovulation.
Clomiphene works similar to estrogen. It stimulates certain hormones which lead to,
- The development and maturation of ovarian follicle.
- Development and function of corpus luteum.
All these changes help to become pregnant.
How to take Clomiphene?
Clomiphene is available in the form of a pill of 50 mg and 100 mg.
Initial dose– 50 mg one time in a day for 5 days per treatment.
Maximum dose– 100 mg one time in a day for 5 days.
- The 50 mg tablet should be started on or about the 5th day of the menstrual cycle in case spontaneous bleeding occurs prior to therapy.
- No need to increase the dose further if ovulation occurs with 50 mg pill.
- The second set can be started as early as 30 days after the first course of 5 days.
- It is an oral medicine to take with or without food.
- Maximum three courses of therapy are recommended.
- Sometimes the first course of 50 mg is not effective. The second course of 100 mg every day for 5 days is prescribed. Your doctor may adjust the dose as per the need and indications.
What are the uses of Clomiphene?
- Clomiphene is used to induce ovulation and promote pregnancy. It is useful for some women who have dysfunctional ovaries. Though they wish to become pregnant.
- Works similar to estrogen.
- Stimulate ovulation.
- To maximize the chance of pregnancy in certain treatment. This include sperms placed in women uterus to facilitate fertilization.
- It may found useful in young couples with unexplained infertility.
- It may be used in the treatment of a decreased functional activity of the male gonads.
- It is also found to be useful in the treatment of increase in the size of male breast tissue that is non-cancerous.
- Useful to increase the chance of fertilization in the deficiency of sperm cells in semen.
- It can be used to suppress lactation.
What are the precautions in taking Clomiphene?
It is necessary to take care of certain condition to start with above medication. Inform your doctor if you have/are;
- Allergic to the above medicines
- Any other allergies
- Liver problems
- Long-term use can increase the risk of ovarian cancer
- Pelvic examination is compulsory prior to the above treatment and each subsequent course
- Confirm its use in patients with abnormal uterine bleeding
It can cause dizziness. Be careful while you do work that needs to be alert.
Follow your doctor’s instruction in a proper way.
Cost of clomiphene (Generic and brand)
Generic drugs are copies of brand-name drugs. They both contain the same active ingredient. New clinical studies are not needed in case of generic medicines.
This saves a huge amount need to spend for Research and development of the product. So, Generic medicines are cheap as compared to brand one’s same effect.
Cost of Generic Clomiphene.
- 60 pills of 50 mg cost $ 45, per unit cost is $ 0.75.
- 60 pills of 100 mg cost $ 59, per unit cost is $ 0.98.
Cost of brand Clomid.
- 60 pills of 50 mg cost $ 54.14, per unit cost is $ 0.9.
- 60 pills of 100 mg cost $ 64.17, per unit cost is $ 1.07.