Treating High Blood Pressure To Lower Risk Of Stroke
Losartan is an oral prescription tablet. It is used to treat high blood pressure. It can lower your risk of stroke if you have heart disease. It can help your kidney work well if you have diabetes.
What are the uses Losartan?
Losartan is used to:
- Lower blood pressure.
- Protect your kidney from being damaged due to diabetes.
- Lower the risk of stroke.
How does Losartan works?
Losartan is an Angiotensin Receptor Blocker. It works by blocking a chemical in your body that causes your blood vessels to narrow and tighten.
It relaxes and widens your blood vessels. By relaxing the blood vessels, your blood flows easily. The oxygen supply in your heart also increases. Lowering your blood pressure reduces your risk of stroke and kidney damage.
What is the dosage of Losartan?
- Adults with high blood pressure
- The recommended dose is 50 mg a day. In some patients the dose may increase to 100 mg a day. The effects can be seen within a week.
- Children 6-17 years old
- The dose is based on your child’s weight. The usual dose is 0.7 mg per kg a day.
- For hypertensive patients, the starting dose is 0.7 mg a day up to 50 mg.
How to use Losartan?
- Take losartan as recommended by your doctor.
- Take the medicine by mouth once a day.
- You may take the medication with or without food.
- Keep using the medicine as directed. It may take 3-6 weeks for your blood pressure to be stable.
- Do not increase your dose without telling you doctor.
- Keep using this medicine even if you feel well.
- Always check your blood pressure.
What are the precautions in using Losartan?
- Do not take this medication if:
- You are allergic to Losartan.
- You have liver problems.
- You suffer from excessive vomiting.
- You have heart problems.
- You have diabetes.
- You’re taking any medications.
- Do not stop taking this medication all of a sudden. It may cause your blood pressure to increase quickly. This can raise your risk of having stroke and heart attack.
Losartan comes with several warnings.
- Do not take this medication if you are pregnant. It can cause death to your unborn child.
- This medication may lower your blood pressure which can make you feel dizzy.
- This drug is not recommended for children less than 6 years old.
Costs of Generic Losartan vs brand Cozaar
The generic brand Losartan is cheaper than the brand name Cozaar. Losartan 25 mg costs $0.13 per unit price or $4.00 for 30 tabs. While the branded Cozaar 25 mg costs $2.98 per unit price or $89.25 for 30 tabs. To order generic Losartan at Rx 2 Go Pharmacy simply, Click Here.