Medication Approved by FDA to Treat Various Bacterial Infections
Clindamycin is a lincosamide antibiotic. United States FDA approved it for the treatment of various bacterial infections. It is active against aerobic gram-positive bacteria. It shows its activity against anaerobic gram positive & gram negative organism too. It treats moderate to severe bacterial infections. It is inactive in case of viral infection.
How does Clindamycin work?
Clindamycin belongs to the class of drug lincosamide. It blocks the Ribosomes of micro-organism. The drug inhibits the bacterial protein synthesis. It binds to bacterial 50s ribosomal submit and Dissociates peptidyl-t RNA. This disrupts its protein synthesis. This kills the bacteria and helps to cure the bacterial infection.
What are the uses of Clindamycin?
Clindamycin is an antibiotic. other uses of Clindamycin are as discussed below:
- Treats a wide variety of bacterial infection.
- Treats bacterial infection in lungs, skin & blood.
- Helps cure the infection of female reproductive organ and internal organ.
- Include treatment of middle ear infection, bone or joint infection.
- Used to treat strep throat and pneumonia
- It may be used in the treatment of acne.
- Combination Clindamycin & Quinone can be useful in malaria.
- It can be used in case of suspected toxic shock syndrome.
How to take Clindamycin?
Clindamycin is available in the form of a capsule of strength 150mg. Dosage may differ depending upon the type of infection.
- Serious infections -150 to 300 mg every 6 hours.
- More serious infection-300 to 450 mg every 6 hours
- Serious infection- 8 to 16 mg/kg/day divided into three or four equal doses.
- More serious infections – 16 to 20 mg/kg/day divided into three or four equal doses.
Your doses also depend on,
- Other medical condition.
- How severe your condition is.
- How you react to the first dose.
- It is an oral capsule used for short-term treatment.
What are the precautions in taking Clindamycin?
It is necessary to take precautions in a certain condition. Inform your doctor or ask regarding following situations.
- If you are allergic to Clindamycin or other ingredients in the capsule. This may avoid the risk of side effects.
- If you have any of these conditions –
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Stomach / intestinal disease e.g.-coatis
- Allergic conditions e.g. Asthma, hay fever, eczema.
- If you are pregnant or plan to be pregnant.
- If you are breastfeeding.
- If you have dental or any other surgery.
- If you are above 60 years old.
- Don’t take any vaccination. Clindamycin may cause live bacterial vaccines to not work as well.
Cost of clindamycin [Generic and Brand]
The generic and brand versions are same in case of effect. Both contain a same active ingredient called Clindamycin. They differ in their prices. Generic drugs don’t spend much on research and development. We also follow other cost-cutting measures. The amount is passed on to our customer.
Cost of generic clindamycin.
Cost of pack 48 capsules of 150 mg is $ 117, per unit cost is $ 2.44.
Cost of brand Dalacin.
Cost of pack of 10 capsules of 150 mg is $135.24, per unit cost is $ 13.52.