Dapoxetine for Treating PE
Dapoxetine is a safe and effective medication designed specifically for men having problems with premature ejaculation. It increases the time for men to ejaculate and improve the control over ejaculation. Dapoxetine is initially created as an antidepressant but its fast-acting property makes it suitable in treating premature ejaculation. It is fast-absorbing and eliminates from the body within a few hours.
What condition does Dapoxetine treat?
Dapoxetine is a prescription medication that comes in a tablet form. It is designed for treating premature ejaculation in men aged 18 to 64 years of age. This tablet is only prescribed after your doctor will make a careful assessment making sure that this drug is appropriate for you.
How do Dapoxetine works?
- Dapoxetine tablet is a short-acting selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor or SSRI. It works by increasing the activity of serotonin in the brain.
- Premature ejaculation or PE is defined as when a man reaches orgasm and therefore, ejaculates very quickly or too soon than his partner would like during sex.
- No one really knows why one person experience PE more than another. Though the exact cause is unknown, serotonin may play a role.
- Serotonin is a chemical that has a wide variety of functions in the body. It is often called as a happy chemical. It is a neurotransmitter that is involved in the passing of messages between nerve cells.
- High serotonin in the brain increase the time for men to ejaculate. Low amount of this happy chemical can shorten ejaculation time which can lead to premature ejaculation.
- Dapoxetine increases the activity of serotonin in the brain which helps increase the time it takes for men to ejaculate and to have control over ejaculation. When taken 1-3 hours before sexual activity, Dapoxetine increases the sense of control and sexual satisfaction in men for up to 2 hours.
- According to research, an estimated one-third of all men will experience premature ejaculation at some point in their life.
What is the dosage of Dapoxetine?
- Dapoxetine comes in a tablet form for you to take orally. The recommended starting dose is 30 mg tablet taken 1-3 hours before sexual intercourse. Your doctor may increase your dose to 60 mg only if 30 mg dose is insufficient.
- Since this drug is fast-acting, it may be effective at the first dose when taken 1-3 hours before sexual intercourse. The duration of the effect lasts for an average duration of 1-2 hours.
How to take Dapoxetine?
- Take Dapoxetine exactly as directed by your physician. You can also read the information leaflet before you start the treatment. The information leaflet will provide you with a full list of the side effect which you may experience from taking it.
- Take the tablet with a full glass of water. Swallow the tablet whole. Do not chew or crush the tablet because it has a bitter taste.
- Do not take more than one tablet within 24 hours. Take it only before you anticipate having sex. It is not intended for regular daily use.
What are the precautions in taking Dapoxetine?
- This medicine is not recommended for men who are not diagnosed with PE or premature ejaculation.
- It is not suitable for teenagers under 18 years of age or anyone with a history of psychiatric illness, heart disease or fainting.
- Dapoxetine is also not recommended for people with:
- Uncontrolled epilepsy
- History o fainting
- Significant heart problems such as heart block, heart attack, angina pectoris, heart failure, sick sinus syndrome or heart valve problems
- Psychiatric illness such as schizophrenia
- Severe liver or kidney problems
- History of bipolar disorder, severe depression mania or hypomania
- Hereditary problems of galactose intolerance, glucose-galactose malabsorption or the Lapp lactase deficiency
- Lower dose and extra monitoring are needed for patients:
- Who are taking blood clotting medications such as anticoagulant like warfarin
- Who suffers from epilepsy
- Who have kidney or liver problems
- Have history of a blood clot or bleeding disorder such as hemophilia
- Who has a closed angle-glaucoma or have raised pressure in the eyeball
- Have a history of low blood pressure
- Who are dehydrated due to prolonged diarrhea, excessive sweating, vomiting as this medication can increase the chances of dehydration
- Your doctor needs to check your progress so make sure you keep your follow-on appointments with your doctor.
- Please check with your doctor if you buy or use any other medicines. Some medications can interact with Dapoxetine making it less effective or sometimes worsen the side effects.
- Medicines like ritonavir, Itraconazole and Nelfinavir can increase your risk from side effects.
- Do not take Dapoxetine with PDE5 medications such as Sildenafil, Tadalafil or Vardenafil as these can make you feel dizzy or more likely to faint.
- Just like any other premature ejaculation medication, Dapoxetine can also cause unwanted side effects although not everyone experiences them. The unwanted side effects often improve as your body becomes adjusted to the medicine. Very common side effects include:
- Common side effects are:
- Blurred vision
- Abnormal dreams
- Feeling tired or sleepy
- Reduced sex drive
- Increase blood pressure
- Excessive sweating
- Erectile dysfunction
- Uncommon side effects are:
- Dilated pupils
- Failure to ejaculate
- Faster or slower heartbeat
- Feeling dizzy after exertion
- Urgent need to defecate
- Teeth grinding
- You are more likely to have bleeding problems if you take this medication along with antiplatelet, anticoagulants, anti-inflammatory, and anti-psychotic medications.
- Do not use higher than 30 mg if you are taking medicines like erythromycin, clarithromycin, fluconazole, and verapamil
Costs of Generic Dapoxetine vs Priligy
Dapoxetine is a generic drug and is cheaper compared with the brand name Priligy. Dapoxetine 60 mg cost $5.5 per unit price or $55 for 10 tabs. While the brand name Priligy cost $115.95 for 6 tabs or $38.65 per unit price. You can buy Dapoxetine here.