Medication for the Treatment of Early and Advanced Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer is the most common cancer in women. It is considered as the second main cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer.
- Lump or thickening of the breast
- Changes to the skin or nipple.
- Pain in breast area consistently.
- A rash around or on the nipples.
- Change in size or shape of breast.
- Sealing or peeling of the skin on the breast or nipple.
Many breast lumps are not cancerous consultation is necessary to confirm it. Letrozole is FDA approved for the treatment of early and advanced breast cancer. It occurs in post-menopausal women with hormone receptor positive, or hormone receptor unknown disease.
How does Letrozole work?
Letrozole belongs to the class of drug called as nonsteroidal aromatase inhibitors Aromatase is an enzyme responsible from the conversion of estrogen from androgen. The drug inhibits the action of the enzyme aromatase. Thus estrogen levels are suppressed. It may stop or slow the growth of certain type of breast tumors that need estrogen to growing the body.
Letrozole is used to treat breast cancer in postmenopausal women.
How to take Letrozole?
It is available in the form of tablet of 2.5 mg and 5 mg. It is used for oral administration.
- Early Breast cancer
General Dose- 1 tablet, 1 time in a day.
You can take it with or without food.
Treatment duration- 5 years.
- Advanced Breast cancer-Continue treatment till tumor progress is evident.
The dose may be based on.
- The condition being treated.
- Other medical conditions you have.
- How you respond to the drug.
- Your age.
- Your weight.
- Your live function etc.
Your doctor may increase dose as needed.
- In case of stomach upset, you can take it with food.
- Take the tablet around same time each day.
What are the uses of Letrozole?
- Letrozole is used to treat postmenopausal women who.
- Have previous treatment with tamoxifen for 5 year.
- Untreated breast cancer that has spread within the breast or to other areas of the body.
- Have hormone receptor positive early stage breast cancer and have other treatment such as radiation or surgery to remove a tumor.
- It also help to prevent cancer from returning.
- Helps to slow or reverse the growth of breast cancer.
- Decrease the amount of hormone estrogen responsible for growth of breast cancer.
- It can be an affective fertility treatment for women with ovulation problems.
What are the precaution in taking Letrozole?
- It is necessary to take precaution in certain condition while taking Letrozole. Consult your health provider if you are/have.
- Allergies Letrozole or other ingredient in the drug.
- Glaucoma or other issues with increased pressure in eye.
- Any other allergies.
- Hyper sensitivity
- Premenopausal women
- Liver disease
- Osteoporosis or low bone mineral density
- High cholesterol
- Inform your doctor if you also take tamoxifen
- Be careful while driving or other work that need to be alert. The drug may cause dizziness or feel faint.
- The safety and efficiency in pediatric patient is unknown.
Cost of Letrozole (Generic & Brand)
Generic medicines are cheaper and show same effect on the patient. The difference lies with the money, time and effort put toward the marketing of the brand.
Cost of Generic Letrozole.
- 30 tablets of 2.5 mg costs $ 69,per unit costs $ 2.3
- 30 tablets of 5mg costs $ 80, per unit costs $2.67
Cost of Brand Femara.
- 30 tablets of 2.5 mg costs $ 741.54, per unit costs 24.72.