Medication that Helps Improve Symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): – Increase in size of the prostate is a natural part of aging in men. But at a certain point, it can lead to a condition called BPH. The urethra is a tube that carries urine and semen in men. When a prostate increase in size, it squeezes the Urethra surrounding it. This affects your Urine flow.
Symptoms of BPH.
- A weak stream or you pee in stops and starts.
- Dribbling when you finish.
- A hard time getting started.
Terazosin helps to improve symptoms of BPH and lowers blood pressure.
How does Terazosin Works?
Terazosin belongs to the class of drugs called alpha- blockers. It blocks alpha-1 adreno-receptors in the body. Adrenaline is responsible for the tightening of blood vessels. Low amount of adrenaline relax the blood vessels. This makes it easy for blood to pass. This also lowers the blood pressure. The drug relaxes the muscles in your bladder and prostate. Relaxed muscles improve the urine flow. This helps to improve symptoms of BPH.
How to take Terazosin?
Terazosin is available in the form of oral tablets of 2 mg and 5 mg. The dose varies from person to person. Dosage depends on,
- Patient’s age.
- The condition that needs to be treated.
- How severe is the condition?
- Other medical condition and its treatment.
- The response of the patient to the first dose.
- Initial dose- 1 mg at bedtime.
- Maximum dose-up to 10 mg in a day.
- Not recommended for people younger than 18 years.
Your doctor can adjust the dose as the response and tolerance of the patient.
- Take a dose at bedtime, it may make you feel dizzy.
- It is used for long-term treatment. Take it as prescribed.
- Continue the treatment with 10 mg for a minimum of 4-6 weeks. Then your doctor may increase it to 20 mg for better results if needed.
What are the uses of Terazosin?
- Terazosin can be used alone or with other drugs to treat high blood pressure.
- Lowering high blood pressure helps to prevent the following conditions.
- Relax the blood vessel and allow easy flow of blood.
- Relax the muscle in the prostate and bladder. This allows easy flow of Urine.
- Help to improve other symptoms of BPH disease.
- It may be used to treat a kidney stone.
- Sometimes it has been used to cure the bladder problems in women.
- Your doctor may use it for some other reason. Ask your doctor regarding this.
What are the precautions in taking Terazosin?
Weigh the risk against the good it will do before you decide to take a medicine. Discuss with your Doctor if you are.
- Allergic to the above drug.
- Brest feeding.
Ask regarding the use of the drug if you have,
- Heart disease.
- Kidney disease.
- Any other allergies like food, dye etc.
- Upcoming dental or any other surgery.
- Avoid work that needs to be alert the drug may make you feel dizzy.
- Be cautious when a drug is used in an elderly. They may be more sensitive to it.
- Inform your doctor regarding all the medication you take to avoid drug interactions.
Cost of Terazosin (Generic and Brand)
Brand drugs need to spend a huge amount of Research and development. In addition, they make expenditures on packing, pricing, and advertising of the Brand name.
A generic drug is away from these expenditures. So we can sell them at a lower cost. They contain same active ingredient and is equally effective.
Cost of Generic Terazosin.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 2 mg costs $ 38.41, per unit cost $ 0.64.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 5 mg costs $ 48.02 per unit cost is $ 0.8.
Cost of brand Hytrin.
- Pack of 84 tablets of 2 mg costs $ 117.20, per unit costs is $ 1.28.
- Pack of 100 tablets of 5 mg costs $ 208.29, per unit cost is $1.91.