Protecting the Kidney from Damage Due to Diabetes
Irbesartan is an oral prescriptive drug. It belongs to a class of drugs called angiotensin receptor blockers. Irbesartan is used to lower blood pressure. It’s also given to help your kidneys work well if you are suffering from type 2 diabetes.
Lowering your blood pressure can help you reduce the following risk:
- Heart attack
- Kidney failure
- Loss of vision
- Heart disease
- Damage to the blood vessels, heart and brain
How does Irbesartan works?
Irbesartan works by blocking the actions of certain substances that tighten the blood vessels. It relaxes the blood vessel allowing your blood to flow smoothly and your heart to pump blood well. Irbesartan also allows your kidneys to remove extra salt and water. This helps lower your blood pressure.
What are the uses of Irbesartan?
Irbesartan can treat:
- High blood pressure
- Protect the kidney from damage due to diabetes
- Heart failure
How to use Irbesartan?
Use Irbesartan as directed by your doctor. Read all information and follow all instructions closely.
- Take Irbesartan once a day by mouth with or without food.
- Take this medicine at the same time of day.
- Keep taking Irbesartan even if you feel well.
- Do not miss doses to gain the most benefit.
- Drink lots of non-caffeine liquids.
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. But do not double the missed dose.
Inform your doctor if your situation does not improve or if it worsens.
What is the dosage for Irbesartan?
Your dose, how often should you take the medication and form depends on:
- Medical condition
- Response to treatment
- Your age
The recommended dosage in treating high blood pressure is 150 mg once a day. Your doctor may increase your medication to 300 mg a day. For kidney problem due to diabetes the recommended dosage is 300 mg per day.
What are the precautions in using Irbesartan?
Before taking Ibesartan inform your doctor about all your medical conditions such as:
- If you are allergic to Ibesartan or any of the ingredients in the tablet.
- If you are diabetic or you have a heart failure.
- If you are breastfeeding.
Observe the following precautions when taking Irbesartan.
- Avoid driving or any activity that requires you to be alert. This medicine can make you dizzy.
- Check whether this drug is safe to take with your other medications.
- Check your blood pressure often.
- Reduce your alcohol intake.
- Drink plenty of fluids especially during hot days.
- Talk to your doctor if you are on low-salt.
Irbesartan comes with many warnings:
- Pregnant women – This drug may harm or be fatal to your unborn baby.
- Nursing women -If Irbesartan passes through the milk, it can cause serious effects in the child.
- For seniors – Older adults process the drug slowly. You need a lower dose if you are an older adult or a different schedule.
- For children – Irbesartan is not recommended to use for those who are 18 years and under.
- Allergy – This drug can cause severe allergic reactions which can be fatal. Symptoms may include hives, swelling of throat and trouble breathing.
Pharmacy costs of Irbesartan
The generic Irbesartan is cheaper than the brand named Avapro. But both drugs have the same active ingredients. Irbesartan 150 mg costs $0.74 per unit price or $73.99 for 90 tabs. While the branded Avapro 150 mg costs $6.36 per unit price or $190.89 for 30 tabs. To purchase the generic Irbesartan from us Buy Here!