Medication Useful for Patience with Chronic Atrial Fibrillation
Your body depends on the pumping of the heart. This provides oxygen and nutrition rich food to the cells of the body. But in some people, your heart muscles are unable to pump enough blood to meet the need of blood and oxygen. The heart is unable to keep up with its workload. This causes heart failure.
Digoxin is useful for the treatment of heart failure. Other conditions include slow heart rate in a patient with abnormal heart rhythm and other heart-related disorders. The FDA approved Digoxin in 1975.
How do Digoxin works?
Digoxin belongs to the class of drugs called digitalis glycosides. Mechanism of Digoxin in the body.
- Improve the strength and efficiency of the heart.
- Control the rate and rhythm of the heartbeat.
- Improve blood circulation.
- Increase the force of contraction of the muscle of the heart.
- The drug inhibits the activity of an enzyme (ATPase). The enzyme controls the movement of calcium, sodium, and potassium into the heart muscle.
- Inhibiting ATPase increases calcium in the heart muscle. This increase the force of heart contraction.
- Slows the electrical conduction between the atria and the ventricles of the heart. This improves the abnormal rapid atrial rhythms.
How to take Digoxin?
Digoxin is derived from the leaves of a Digitalis plant. It is available in the form of a tablet of strength 0.25 mg. Dosage depend on
- Your kidney function.
- A condition that needs to be treated.
- Lean body weight.
- Take the dose around the same time every day.
- Your healthcare provide decide the dose as per your need.
- Continue to take the dose. It may take several weeks to several months for this drug to start its work.
- Don’t discontinue the medicine unless your doctor asks you.
- Consult your doctor in case of side effects or any problem.
What are the uses of Digoxin?
Digoxin is useful in the treatment of following conditions.
- Congestive heart failure (in combination with a diuretic and an ACE inhibitor).
- Heart rhythm problem called atrial fibrillation.
- It improves the heart’s ability to pump blood.
- Controls the rate of heartbeat.
- Improve the condition like shortness of breath.
- Symptoms like a rapid or irregular heartbeat
- It slows down and controls the heartbeat.
- It works with minerals like calcium, sodium etc. in the cells of the heart. They help to reduce strain on the heart.
- keeps the heartbeat normal.
- Your doctor may use it for some other reason. Ask your doctor.
What are the precautions in taking Digoxin?
There are certain things to consider when you take Digoxin. Ask or inform your Doctor if you have
- Ventricular fibrillation.
- Allergy to Digoxin.
- Kidney disease.
- Heart problem.
- Inflammation of sac covering the heart.
- A history of electrolyte or vitamin problems.
- Thyroid problems.
- Inform your healthcare provider if you are
- Inform your doctor about all other medicines you take.
Cost of Digoxin (Generic and Brand)
Generic and Brand drugs contain the same active ingredient. The effect is also very much same. The difference lies in their cost. Bulk purchasing of raw material from manufacture decrease the rate of Generic drugs. Other cost-saving measures too reduce their cost. This allow us to sell the generic drug at cheaper rates.
Cost of Generic Digoxin.
- 50 tablets of 0.25 mg costs $ 13.99, per unit cost is $ 0.28.
Cost of Brand Lanoxin.
- 50 tablets of 0.25 mg costs $ 697, per unit cost is $ 13.94.