Medication that Controls and Stops the Growth of Bacteria
Bacteria are microscopic, single-cell organism that lives almost everywhere. They can live on and inside plants, animals, and people. Many strains of bacteria are harmless and some are beneficial too. Relatively few strains of bacteria are responsible to make people sick. Bacteria can grow and multiply, infecting different parts of the body.
Above drug is an antibiotic to treat bacterial infections. It controls and stops the growth of bacteria. It is active against Gram-positive and Gram Negative bacteria.
How does Levofloxacin Works?
Levofloxacin belongs to the class of medication called quinolone antibiotics. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic. The drug inhibits the enzyme (DNA gyrase) topoisomerase iv.
- The enzyme gyrase inhibits relaxation of super coiled DNA.
- It also promotes breakage of double-stranded DNA.
- Prevents negative super coils in DNA Topoisomerase iv.
- Maintain chromosomal super helical density and relieves stress on it.
- Removes knots in the bacterial chromosome.
- Levofloxacin fight bacteria in the body.
What are the uses of Levofloxacin?
- It is used to treat a variety of Bacterial Infections. This includes bacterial infection of
- Urinary tract.
- It is also helpful to treat the bacterial infection that causes.
- To treat people who is exposed to.
- It may be used for other uses as a combination therapy. Ask your Doctor for dose information.
- No habit-forming tendencies reported.
How to take Levofloxacin?
It is available in the form of tablets to take by mouth. Available strengths- 250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg. The dosage depends on
- Type of infection
- The condition of the patient
- Age of the patient
- How is the response to the first dose
- The initial dose for adults– 1 tablets orally every 24 hrs.
- Children – (> 6 months and < 50 kg) = 8 mg/kg every 12 hours.
- Children- (> 50 kg)- 500 mg one time every day. Your doctor may adjust your dose according to the infection.
- Maximum dose- It should not exceed 250 mg in children.
What are the Precautions in taking Levofloxacin?
- Ask or inform your Doctor, if you are/have
- Allergy to this class of drug.
- Any other allergies.
- dental or any surgery.
- Joint problems.
- Kidney problems.
- Mental / mood disorder like depression.
- Nerve problems.
- Seizure disorders.
- fast or irregular heartbeat.
- Other heart problems e.g. QT prolongation.
- The family history of above conditions.
- -Avoid alcohol. It may lead to feeling dizzy or light-headed.
- This medication may make you more sensitive to the sun. Use a protective method to avoid, sunburn or have skin blisters/ redness.
- Avoid Immunization during treatment. The drug may cause live bacterial vaccines to not work as well.
- The above drug may cause a condition that affects heart rhythm (QT Prolongation). Ask your Doctor for more information.
Cost of Levofloxacin (Generic & Brand).
The Basic ingredient is same in both Generic and Brand Version. So the effect will be the same they differ in their cost. Generic medicines are cheaper as compared to Brand ones.
Cost of above Generic drug.
Pack of 60 tablets of 250 mg costs $ 39, per unit$ 0.65.
Pack of 10 tablets of 500mg costs $ 16, per unit is $1.6.
Pack of 30 tablets of 750mg costs $ 49, per unit is $ 1.63.
Cost of Brand Levaquin.
Pack of 50 tablets of 250mg costs $ 1,376.57, per unit is $ 27.53.
Pack of 10 tablets of 500mg costs $ 291.18, per unit is $ 29.12.
Pack of 20 tablets of 750 mg costs $ 1,182.89, per unit is $ 59.14.