Preventing Cholesterol From Building Up In Your Arteries
Lipitor is an oral prescription drug. It is used to prevent cholesterol from building up in your arteries. Cholesterol build-up can block your blood from flowing easily. Lipitor is used along with:
- Diet program
- Weight loss
Lipitor is one of the most popular drugs in treating high cholesterol. It is used in adults and children 10 years older. The generic name of Lipitor is Atorvastatin.
What are the uses of Lipitor?
Lipitor belongs to a group of medicine called statins. It is used in treating patients with high cholesterol. It can lower your risk of having:
- Heart attack
- Other heart disease
How does Lipitor works?
Lipitor works by reducing the production of cholesterol in your body. It blocks the cholesterol producing enzyme in your liver. The excess cholesterol in your arteries prevents your blood from flowing into your heart, brain and other body parts. As a result, you can suffer from stroke, heart attack and other health problems.
However, this medication works best with lifestyle changes.
What is the dosage of Lipitor?
Your dose depends on:
- Your cholesterol level
- Reason for taking the medicine
- Your other medications
- Your age
- Adult- The recommended initial dose is 10 mg to 20 mg a day. The usual recommended dose ranges from 10 mg to 80 mg a day. The maximum dose is 80 mg a day.
- Children- the recommended dose is 10 mg a day. The maximum dose is 20 mg a day. This medication may be taken with or without food.
How to take Lipitor?
- Take this medication exactly as directed by your doctor.
- Take the medicine by mouth once a day.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush or chew the tablet.
- Take Lipitor 1 hour before or 4 hours after taking other medicines to lower your cholesterol.
- To get the most benefit take the medicine regularly.
What are the precautions in taking Lipitor?
- Do not take this drug if you have:
- Health problems like:
- Liver disease
- Kidney problems
- Severe lung disease
- You’re allergic to this drug.
- You’re pregnant
- You’re nursing your baby.
- This drug is not recommended for children 10 years of age or less.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
Costs of Lipitor Vs. Generic Atorvastatin
The generic Atorvastatin is cheaper than the brand name Lipitor. Atorvastatin 10 mg costs $0.33 per unit price or $30.00 for 90 tabs. While the branded Lipitor 10 mg costs $9.10 per unit price or $818.66 for 90 tabs. To order generic Atorvastatin at Rx 2 Go Pharmacy simply, Click Here.