Losartan Potassium is a prescription drug available as a brand name and a generic name. It is used for:
- Lowering the blood pressure with no known cause in adults and children aged 6 t0 18 years old
- Reducing the risk of stroke among patients with high blood pressure and left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH)
- Treating diabetic nephropathy, a type of kidney disease in adults caused by diabetes type II
- Treating chronic heart failure in adults who can’t take ACE inhibitor medication.
Losartan is an ARB or angiotensin II receptor blockers which prevent the action of angiotensin. It works by blocking the action of angiotensin II allowing the blood vessels to widen and more fluids to be filtered out of the blood by the kidney.
Why Buy Losartan Potassium?
Losartan potassium is FDA-approved for the treatment of hypertension or high blood pressure. It is included on the World Health Organization list of essential medicines. Losartan is one of the safest and most effective medicines that experts consider important in the health system. Losartan is beneficial for:
- Controlling high blood pressure
- Decreasing the risk of stroke
- Reducing the abnormal amount of proteins in the urine that may damage the kidney
- Slowing down diabetes kidney disease
- Decreasing the uric acid level that may contribute to the development of gout
- Reduce platelet aggregation that causes a blood clot
- Regression of heart enlargement
How to Take Losartan Potassium?
The dose of Losartan depends on your condition and how well you tolerate the medicine. Take 50 mg once a day as a starting dose. Your doctor may increase your dose gradually between 25 mg to 100 mg per day. For children ages 6 to 17, the typical dose is 0.7mg/kg of body weight.
Take Losartan exactly as directed. Take it at the same time each day. You may take it with or without food. For a missed dose, take it as soon as you remember. You may need to take Losartan on a long-term basis.
Things to Remember
- Losartan is not suitable for pregnant women or women who are planning to become pregnant.
- Do not take this drug if you are allergic to its active ingredient.
- Drinking alcoholic beverages can cause a sedative effect.
- Losartan can cause low blood pressure which can make you feel faint or dizzy.
- Losartan can make kidney disease worse. Patients with kidney disease must not use this medication. Symptoms of worsening kidney disease include an unexplained weight gain and swelling in the hands, feet, and ankles.
- Do not use a salt substitute while taking Losartan. Using salt substitute along with Losartan can make the amount of potassium in your blood too high.