Medication That Treats Depression and Improves Mood
Citalopram is an oral prescription medicine. It’s available as a brand name and as a generic drug. It is prescribed for treating depression. Citalopram is an anti-depressant drug that belongs to SSRIs or Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. It works by improving depression. It increases the number of substances in the brain called serotonin. Serotonin is a natural substance that helps maintain mental balance. Increasing the amount of serotonin helps improve the ability of the brain to transmit messages from one brain cells to another. Citalopram also helps improve the mood. It is sometimes used to treat conditions like:
- Panic disorder- a sudden attack of extreme fear
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder- emotional and physical symptoms before menstrual cycle
- Social phobia- excessive anxiety
- Eating disorder
How to use Citalopram?
Citalopram is an oral medication. The usual recommended dose is 20mg once a day. Your doctor may increase your dose depending on how well your response to the treatment. Take the medication either in the morning or in the evening. Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. You can take it with or without food. Take Citalopram exactly as directed.
What are the side effects of Citalopram?
Some of the side effects of Citalopram are:
- Dry mouth
- Increased sweating
- Sexual difficulties
- Stuffy or a runny nose
See your doctor if you will experience any of the following symptoms:
- Signs of blood clotting such as bruising, blood in the urine, coughing cuts that don’t stop and bleeding gums
- Overactive thoughts
- Restlessness or unable to sit still
- Symptoms of low sodium in the blood
- Changes in the heart rhythm such as pounding heartbeat, seizures and fainting
- Liver problems with signs such as loss of appetite, weight loss, jaundice and dark urine
- Citalopram may cause a decreased appetite and weight loss in children.
- This drug may interact with other medications, vitamins and herbal supplements. When used with other drugs that increase serotonin, life-threatening complications may occur.
- Citalopram may cause sleepiness. Do not use alcohol while under this medication.
- Patients who have heart problems, low potassium and magnesium level, kidney and liver problems must use this drug only upon the advice of your doctor.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take this drug.
- Do not stop taking this medication all of a sudden. Stopping citalopram right away can cause anxiety, change in the sleep habit, irritability and other serious symptoms.