Medication To Treat Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid , Ankylosing, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
Celecoxib is a prescription anti-inflammatory drug. It belongs to the group of drug known as selective COX-2 inhibitors, a kind of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It is prescribed for the treatment of conditions like:
- Osteoarthritis –caused by the breakdown of the lining of the joints
- Rheumatoid arthritis- swelling of the lining if the joint
- Ankylosing arthritis- arthritis that affects the spine
- Juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis- arthritis that affects children 2 years and older
Celecoxib is also prescribed by doctors for the relief of short term (less than 7 days) pain due to surgery, injuries and other medical and dental procedures. It prevents the formation and the reduction of polyps size of patients with familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP). It helps relief acute pain due to primary dysmenorrhea or menstrual cramps.
Celecoxib works by blocking the enzyme that produces prostaglandin. This enzyme is responsible for the inflammation, pain and swelling. Compared with other NSAID drug, Celecoxib causes less ulceration of the stomach and less inflammation. It does not cause the blood to clot. However, this drug can only treat the symptoms. It will not cure the underlying conditions.
How to use Celecoxib?
Celecoxib comes in a tablet form that you need to take orally. Take this drug exactly as directed.
- Osteoarthritis –the usual recommended dose is 100mg to times a day or 200mg once a day
- Rheumatoid arthritis- the usual recommended dose is 200mg two times a day
- Menstrual cramps- a single dose of 400mg on the first day followed by 200 mg if needed.
- FAP- the usual recommended dose is 400mg two times a day
- Ankylosing arthritis- the dose is 200mg a day or 100mg twice a day
- Moderate to severe pain- the dose is 400mg on the first day followed by 200mg once a day.
Take Celecoxib with or without food. Do not take more than what is recommended.
What are the side effects of Celecoxib?
Some of the side effects of Celecoxib are:
Serious side effects are:
- Hearing changes
- Blurred vision
- Allergic reaction
- Signs of lung inflammation such as a dry cough and tiredness
- Signs of depression like poor concentration and changes in sleep pattern
- Swelling of the feet and legs
- Celecoxib can cause a decrease in the blood counts. Tell your doctor if you have blood-related medical conditions.
- Celecoxib is an NSAID that can cause fertility problems.
- This medication may interact with other drugs. Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medications including vitamin and herbal supplements.
- NSAID drug can reduce blood pressure.