Medication To Prevent or Treat Potassium Deficiency
Potassium deficiency is also described as a low level of potassium in the body. It is also called as hypokalemia. There are many causes for the loss of potassium.
- due to the use of certain diuretic medicines.
- Low intake of the salt in the diet.
- Kidney disease.
- Excessive sweating etc.
Potassium chloride is useful to prevent or treat potassium deficiency in above cases. The salt is a major mineral that is necessary for the working of each cell.
How does potassium chloride work?
Potassium chloride belongs to the class of drugs called as electrolytes. It is important for normal functioning of the body. It plays an essential role in following activities.
- Nerve conduction.
- Muscle contraction.
- Kidney function etc.
Potassium chloride is a mineral supplement. It prevents or treats low levels of potassium in the blood. The drug contains potassium and chloride. It increase the amount of potassium in the body. It acts as an electrolyte supplier.
How to take potassium chloride?
Potassium chloride is available in the form of a tablet of 600 mg. 600 mg is equal to 8 mEq. Your doctor may adjust your dose to the individual needs of each patient
- Prevention of deficiency of potassium- 20 mEq per day.
- Treatment of the same- 40-100 mEq per day.
- Maximum single dose- 20 mEq.
- Take the tablet with meals with a glass of water or other liquid.
- Avoid taking it on empty stomach. This may lead to gastric irritation.
- Discuss with your doctor about your requirement of dose.
What are the uses of potassium chloride?
Potassium chloride prevents and treats low blood levels of potassium.
- It is a mineral supplement.
- It treats the potassium deficiency caused due to following reasons.
- Unbalanced diet.
- Adrenal gland disorder.
- Kidney defects.
- Vomiting diarrhea.
- Use of diuretic and certain other drugs.
- Prolonged illness.
- From taking certain medicines.
What are the precautions in taking potassium chloride?
Discuss with your doctor regarding certain conditions. Inform your doctor if you have/are.
- Renal disease.
- Any disease that impairs potassium excretion.
- Using ACE inhibitors.
- Acute dehydration.
- Allergic to above drug.
- Heart problems.
- High levels of potassium in the blood.
- Digestive system problems.
- Upcoming surgery.
Discuss with your doctor regarding its risk and benefits in pregnancy and breast feeding.
Inform your doctor the list of medicine you take.
Cost of potassium chloride (Generic and Brand)
Branded drugs and Generic drugs contains the very same active ingredient. The only difference is their cost. Brand drugs spend a huge amount of their marketing, pricing, Research, and development etc. Generic drugs include a number of cost-saving measures. This allows us to sell cheap and effective Generic drug to our customers.
Cost of Generic potassium chloride.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 600 mg costs $ 38.41, per unit cost is $ 0.64.
Cost of Brand Micro-K.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 600 mg costs $ 60.67, per unit cost is $ 1.10.