Medication to Treat Edema, Kidney Diseases and Hypertension
Blood pressure is a measure of pushing the blood against the walls of your arteries. This is needed to make the blood circulate through the body & heart. High blood pressure indicates.
- Your heart needs to pump harder.
- Arteries have to carry blood that is flowing under great pressure.
This condition can put a strain on the heart. It may increase your risk of a heart attack, stroke or kidney problems.
Hydrochlorothiazide is used to treat high blood pressure. It is also useful to treat related conditions like edema, kidney disease etc.
How does Hydrochlorothiazide work?
Hydrochlorothiazide is abbreviated as HCTZ. HCTZ is in a class of drugs called diuretics (water pills). It changes the way your kidney filters the blood to produce urine. This process allows more fluid to excrete. A part of the kidney is responsible to reabsorb good nutrient and salts back into the blood from the urine.
HCTZ blocks the reabsorption of sodium and chloride in the nephrons. More of water flow along with sodium in the urine to maintain balance. Low amount of salts helps to decrease blood pressure. HCTZ also relax the muscles surrounding your blood vessels. This allows easy flow of blood and lowers the blood pressure.
How to take Hydrochlorothiazide?
It is available in the form of an oral tablet. Strength – 12.5 mg, 25 mg. It is sometimes used in combination with other medications. The dosage depends on i. Age.
- The condition to be treated.
- The response of the patient.
- Usual dose- 25 mg to 100 mg one or two times a day.
- Maximum dose- may increase to 100 mg one or 2 times a day.
- Less than 12 years – 1 to 2 mg/kg/day in one or two divided doses.
- Maximum dose- 37.5 mg per day.
What are the uses of Hydrochlorothiazide?
- Treats High blood pressure.
- Excretion of more urine and salt lead to lower the B.P.
- Lowering high blood pressure prevents,
- Heart attacks.
- Kidney problems.
- Treats edema due to heart failure, liver or kidney disease.
- Reduce the symptoms like shortness of breath or swelling in your ankles or feet due to above reasons.
- Treats Diabetes insipidus.
- Used to treat renal tubular acidosis.
- May prevent kidney stones in people with high calcium in their urine.
- Decrease mineral bone loss by promoting calcium retention in the kidney.
What are the precautions in taking HCTZ?
- One should be aware of a couple of things before you start using HCTZ. Inform your Healthcare provider if you have/are.
- Allergic to HCTZ.
- Any other allergies.
- Kidney disease.
- Bronchial asthma.
- High cholesterol.
- Fluid or electrolyte problem.
- Parathyroid problem.
- Use of HCTZ may lead to following conditions.
- Hypokalemia after a prolonged therapy.
- Hyperglycemia in diabetic patients.
- Hypomagnesemia due to excretion of magnesium.
- Inform your doctor about all other medicines you take to avoid drug interactions.
- Confirm about doses in case of sympathectomy.
Cost of Hydrochlorothiazide (Generic & Brand)
Generic drugs have same active ingredient as a brand name. Generic drugs are cheaper than the brand name versions. This is because the manufacturer does not have to spend on developing and marketing a new drug. Other expenditure like research and development, promotions are saved.
Cost of Generic HCTZ.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 12.5 mg costs $ 6, per unit cost is $ 0.1.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 25 mg costs $ 7, per unit cost is $ 0.12
Cost of brand microzide.
- Pack of 60 tablets of 12.5 mg costs $ 80.04 per unit cost is $ 1.33.