Medication to Treat Gynecological Infections Eye Infections
Norfloxacin is a synthetic antibacterial agent. It is used to treat a range of bacterial infections. Treatment includes urinary tract infections, gynecological infections eye infection and many more.
It received approval from U.S. FDA on October 31, 1996. It fights bacteria in the body and gives relief from bacterial infection. It is a drug with antibacterial activity against most gram negative and gram positive bacteria.
How does Norfloxacin works?
Norfloxacin belongs to the class of drug called as fluoroquinolones. It inhibits the enzymes Topoisomerase lV and ll (DNA gyrase). These enzymes are responsible for
- Bacterial DNA replication.
- Its transcription.
- Their recombination.
Norfloxacin enters the bacterial cell and binds itself to these enzymes. This blocks the process of DNA repletion during bacterial growth and reproduction. Thus, it kills the bacteria that cause infection. As these enzymes doesn’t work, the bacteria are unable to reproduce or repair themselves.
How to take Norfloxacin?
Norfloxacin is available as;
- Tablets of 400 mg.
- Norfloxacin Drops of 0.3%/10 ml.
- Adult dosage
- Initial dose- 400 mg two times in a day, for gonorrhea.
- Gonorrhea- 800 mg one time in a day.
- Children (<18 years)- safety and efficacy not established.
Norfloxacin ophthalmic drops.
- Adult dosage- Instill 1 or 2 drops to the affected eyes 4 times every day for up to 7 days. For severe infections it can be increased 1 or 2 drop every 2 hours.
< 1 years- not recommended.
1 to 18 years – 1 or 2 drops to the affected eyes 4 times every day.Length & treatment depends on the infection being treated.
What are the uses of Norfloxacin?
- Norfloxacin fights against a range bacterial infection in the body. The tablet is useful in the treatment of,
- Urinary tract infections.
- Gynecological infections.
- Inflammation of the prostate gland.
- Gonorrhea & bladder infection.
- Sometimes used to treat typhoid & paratyphoid fever.
- Infections of stomach & certain intestine like travelers’ diarrhea.
- It may be used to stop these infections coming back.
- Your doctor may use it for some other reason ask him regarding these.
- Norfloxacin ophthalmic drops is used to treat bacterial conjunctivitis & other surface eye infections.
What are the precautions in using Norfloxacin?
- It is important to look after certain conditions while you start with Norfloxacin. Inform your doctor if you have / are.
- Allergic to Norfloxacin.
- Any other allergies.
- Kidney problem.
- History of tendon (the cord that attaches muscle to bones).
- Low potassium level in blood.
- Bloody or watery diarrhea.
- Organ transplant.
- Irregular heart rhythm.
- Joint problems.
- Nerve problems.
- Confirmed data are not available for its use in pregnancy & breast feeding talk to your doctor about it.
- Tell your doctor about all other medicines you take.
- It may cause dizziness & confusion. Be alert when you do work which need to be alert.
- People taking Norfloxacin may be more sensitive to the sun. Try to avoid sun exposure.
Cost of Norfloxacin (Generic & Brand)
Cost of generic medicines is comparatively less. Brand medicines need to spend a huge amount on research & development. Packaging & pricing cost is also high. Generic medicines do not need to spend on these parameters.
Cost of Generic Norfloxacin (tablet & drops).
- Pack of 30 tablets of 400 mg costs $ 9, per unit cost is $ 0.23.
- 1 bottle of 0.3% / 10 ml costs $ 5.
Cost of Brand Noroxin.
- Pack of 30 tablets of Noroxin (400 mg) costs $ 121.18, per unit cost is $ 3.46.