Medication that Treats Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease and Acromegaly
Parkinson’s disease is a neurodegenerative disorder. It is also called as a movement disorder. Most individuals develop this disease at the age of 60 years or above. The symptoms are related to the function of voluntary and involuntary motor nerves.
Dopamine is a natural substance produced by typical neurons (nerve cells). Decreased level shows that these nerve cell in the part of the brain have died. And the affected person finds it difficult to control their movements. Dopamine is responsible to send messages to the part of the brain that controls coordination and movement.
Bromocriptine Mesylate is useful to treat Parkinson’s disease and disease discussed below.
How does Bromocriptine Mesylate work?
The drug belongs to class medications called dopamine receptor agonist. It directly stimulates the dopamine receptor. It helps to replace and increase the level of this natural substance.
Increase in dopamine level: –
- Improves many functions the motor- nerve function.
- Inhibits prolactin secretion.
- Improves glycemic control in diabetes type-2 patients.
- It also increases insulin sensitivity.
Thus it not only treats Parkinson’s disease but shows it activity in case of Diabetes type-2.
How to take Bromocriptine Mesylate?
Bromocriptine Mesylate is available in the form of a pill of 2.5 mg.
- Adult (18 years and above): -2.5 to 15 mg in a day.
- Children (11 to 15 years): – 2.5 to 10 mg in a day.
- The dose depends on the type of Disease and age of the patient. It may vary from patient to patient.
- Your doctor may adjust the dose as per your response to the dose.
- Take the medicine along with the food.
- Follow the directions on your prescription.
- Your doctor may start you on a low dose and then increase as needed.
- Confirm with your doctor, if you want to stop the meditation.
What are the uses of Bromocriptine Mesylate?
The drug is prescribed for multiple uses as given below.
- Treat symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Used with diet and other medication to control blood sugar level in Diabetes types-2.
- It treats infertility in both men and women due to increased prolactin level.
- Treat acromegaly (increased production of growth hormone).
- Help to shrink tumors of the pituitary gland.
- Stops production of milk in some men and women who have abnormal milk leakage.
- Useful in the treatment like, lack of a menstrual period in women.Your doctor may prescribe it for some other reason. Discuss with your Doctor.
What are the precautions in taking Bromocriptine Mesylate?
Before you start taking the above drug, inform your doctor, certain conditions that you suffer from.
- Ask or tell him if you are,
- Allergic to above drug.
- Pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- Having dental or any other surgery.
Inform your doctor if you have,
- Bacterial infection.
- Liver disease.
- Stomach ulcers.
- Kidney problems.
- Heart disease.
- Low blood pressure.
- Lung problems.
- Recently given birth to a child.
- Safety and efficacy is unknown for the age group younger than 8 years.
- Inform your doctor regarding all other medicines you take to avoid drug interactions.
- The drug may make you feel drowsy. Be cautious while doing something that needs to be alert.
Cost of Bromocriptine Mesylate (Generic and brand)
The working of the Generic and the brand drugs is the same. They contain a same active ingredient in them. The high prices of the brand drugs are due to their pricing, packaging and the brand name. Generic medicine does not have to spend for this. So Generic medicines and cheap and safe.
- Cost of generic Bromocriptine Mesylate.
– Pack of 30 pills of 2.5 mg costs $ 45, per unit cost is $ 1.5.
– Pack of 30 pills of 2.5 mg costs $ 183.06, per unit cost is $6.10.