Medication that Prevents and Treats Nausea and Vomiting
Nausea and Vomiting are symptoms of a disease or condition. It is a sensation to empty your stomach. The act includes forcibly throwing the contents of the stomach. All the parts of the digestive system act together. They forcibly expel the contents of the stomach in a coordinated fashion.
Promethazine is useful to treat nausea and vomiting. It is helpful in the treatment of many other reasons like motion sickness, pain post-surgery etc.
How does Promethazine Work?
Promethazine belongs to the class of drugs called phenothiazine. It acts by changing the action of certain chemicals in your brain. The drug blocks a certain natural substance called as histamine. Your body produce it during an allergic reaction. It may act on other natural substance called acetylcholine. This provides anti-nausea, calming and pain relief effects. The drug acts on certain parts of the brain.
How to take Promethazine?
Promethazine is available in the form of a tablet of strengths 25 mg. The dose depends on,
- Age of the patient.
- Condition to be treated.
- How severe is the condition?
- The response of the patient to the first dose.
- Usual dose-12.5 to 25 mg.
- Dosage for sedation-25 mg to 50 mg.
- Maximum dose- 50 mg/dose.
The dose may be taken into 2 doses as per doctor’s advice.
- <2 years: – Safety and efficacy are not established.
- For 2 years and older children.
- Usual dose-0.1 to 0.5 mg/kg 2 to 4 times in day.
- Dosage for sedation- 12.5-25 mg
- Maximum does- 25 mg/dose.
Consult your doctor for your dose limit.
What are the Uses of Promethazine?
- It prevents and treats nausea & Vomiting related to certain conditions like,
- Motion sickness.
- Before/After surgery.
- Used with other medication to treat
- Severe allergic reactions.
- Reaction to blood products.
- Helps you to feel relax and sleepy, before and after surgery or other procedures.
- Makes you feel relax during labor and delivery.
- Help certain narcotic pain relievers to work better.
- Treat certain allergic symptoms such as itching, runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes etc.
- It is used as a sleep aid.
- It may be used for other purposes not listed in medication guide.
What are the precautions in taking Promethazine?
- Certain conditions need to be considered before you take this drug. Inform or ask your doctor if you are/have,
- Allergic to above drug.
- Any other allergies.
- Breathing problem like asthma etc.
- Blood/immune system problems.
- Glaucoma. (High pressure in eye)
- Any type of heart disease.
- Dental or any other surgery.
- Liver disease.
- Certain brain disorder.
- Stomach/intestine problem like ulcer etc.
- Overactive thyroid.
- Difficulty in Urination.
- Be cautious while operating heavy machinery or driving.
- Tell your doctor about all other medications to take.
- Limit your time in the sun.
- Consult your doctor regarding its use in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Cost of Promethazine (Generic &Brand)
Generic medicines contain same active ingredient as the original brand name drug. The generic drugs can be used as a substitute for a brand medication with the same therapeutic results. They are also cheaper than brand ones.
- Cost & Generic Promethazine.
Pack of 60 tabs of 25 mg costs $13, per unit cost is $ 0.22.
Pack of 60 tabs of 25 mg cost $ 68, per unit cost is $ 1.13.