Medication that Reduces the Cholesterol Production by the Liver
Cholesterol – It is a substance that contains a lot of fat. It is found in the body tissue and blood of all animals. The substance is essential to the formation of bile acids, vitamin D, progesterone, estrogen, and androgens. A diet that contains high saturated fats leads to increase the blood cholesterol level. Cholesterol needed by the body is also prepared by the liver and other tissues. This increased level of cholesterol increases the risk of heart and blood vessel disease.
Pravastatin sodium is a medicine that reduces the cholesterol production by the liver.
How does Pravastatin sodium works?
Pravastatin sodium belongs to the class of drug called as statins. It acts as lipoprotein lowering drug. The works in two steps.
- It inhibits the function HMG-CoA reductase enzyme. This inhibits the synthesis of low-density lipoprotein-like VLDL and LDL.
- As the production decreases in the liver, there is an increase in the uptake of LDL and VLDL from the blood. This reduces its amount in the bloodstream.
- It also results in the increase in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol.
Overall Pravastatin sodium decrease production of cholesterol in the liver and in its amount in the blood.
How to take Pravastatin sodium?
You can buy generic pravastatin sodium in the form of a tablet of 10 mg and 20 mg. Take a tablet same time every day. You can take the tablet with or without food.
The dosage depends on age and how severe is your condition?
- Initial dose- 40 mg once in a day.
- Maintenance dose- 40- 80 mg once in a day.
- <8 years- safety & efficacy not established.
- 8 to 13 years – 20 mg once daily.
- 14 to 18 years – 40 mg once daily.
Your doctor may adjust your dosage as needed. It depends on other medications you take.
What are the uses of Pravastatin sodium?
- Pravastatin sodium is used to lower “bad” cholesterol and fats (LDL, triglycerides)
- It raises “good” cholesterol (HDL) in the blood.
- Reduce the amount of cholesterol made by the liver.
- This decreases the risk of heart disease.
- Helps prevent stroke/ heart attack.
- Treats hardening of the arteries due to plaque buildup.
- Helpful in other conditions not listed in the medication guide.
- It is used to lower the progress of heart disease.
What are the precautions in taking Pravastatin sodium?
- Before using Pravastatin sodium, inform your doctor about certain conditions that may create problems. Discuss with your doctor if you have/are.
- Allergic to the above drug.
- Any other allergies.
- Liver disease.
- Kidney disease.
- Dental or any other surgery.
- Pregnant or plan to be pregnant.
- Breast Feeding
- Inform your health provider about all other medicines you take.
- Follow the diet and work out a plan that your doctor told you.
- Avoid use of alcohol.
- Consult your doctor in case of muscle pain, weakness, body aches or fever while taking Pravastatin sodium.
Cost of Pravastatin sodium (Generic & Brand)
Generic drugs have same active ingredient as brand ones. But generic drugs are cheaper as compared to brand drugs. They adopt many cost-saving methods like ordering in bulk from manufacturer etc. They also don’t need to spend a huge amount on inventing a drug. All this benefit is transferred to our consumers.
Cost of generic pravastatin sodium.
- Pack of 30 tablets of 10 mg costs $ 19, per unit cost is $ 0.63.
- Pack of 30 tablets of 20 mg costs $ 29, per unit cost is $ 0.97.
Cost of brand Pravachol.
- Pack of 30 tablets of 10 mg costs $ 123.83, per unit cost is $ 4.13.
- Pack of 30 tablets of 20 mg costs $ 130.62, per unit cost is $ 4.35.