Treating High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Hypertension: – When your Blood pressure increase to an unhealthy level, the condition is called as Hypertension. It develops over a course of several years. It can cause damage to your blood vessels. Hypertension can harm organs like brain, heart, eyes, and kidneys. Narrow arteries can lead to increase in resistance to the blood meet when the heart is pumps.
Atenolol Chlorthalidone is used to treat high blood pressure. FDA approved the above drug in June 1984.
How do Atenolol/Chlorthalidone works?
The drug is a combination of two drugs
- Atenolol – It is a beta blocker. Epinephrine is a natural chemical in your body. It affects the heart, blood vessels and circulation of the blood. Atenolol blocks the action of this natural chemical. This effect lowers the heart rate and blood pressure. Thus, it reduces the strain on the heart.
- Chlorthalidone: – It is a diuretic. It is also called as a water pill. The drug increases the flow of Urine. This reduces the amount of water in the body. Altogether, the blood pressure is reduced.
The combined effects of the above two drug help to reduce hypertension.
How to take Atenolol/Chlorthalidone?
Atenolol/Chlorthalidone is an oral pill. It is available in the strength of 50 mg/12.5 mg and 100 mg/25 mg.
Adult dosage: –
- Initial dose – 50 mg / 12.5 mg one time in a day.
- Maximum dose – 100 mg/25 mg one time in a day.
Children dosage: –
- Use is not recommended under 18 years of age.
- The dosage depends on the age and condition of the patient.
- Your doctor may adjust the dose as per the need.
- Increase the dose over a period of 1 to 2 weeks.
- Follow all the instructions of the doctor.
What are the Uses of Atenolol / Chlorthalidone?
- It is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Lowers the blood pressure.
- Lowering the blood pressure helps to prevent strokes, heart attack, and kidney problems.
- Atenolol lowers the strain on the heart.
Chlorthalidone causes your body to get rid of excess salt and water.
- Increase the amount of Urine flow in order to reduce blood pressure.
- Relax blood vessels. This allows easy flow of blood through the blood vessels.
- Increased blood flow supplies more oxygen supply and blood to the heart.
- Useful in treating abnormally rapid heart rhythms.
What are the Precautions in taking Atenolol / Chlorthalidone?
It is necessary to consider certain medical conditions prior to start the treatment. Inform your doctor if you have/are,
- Allergic to the above drug.
- Congestive heart failure.
- Thyroid disorder.
- Other Heart problems.
- Kidney function problems.
- Liver problems.
- Dental or upcoming surgery.
- Electrolyte imbalance / unable to urinate.
Inform regarding the list of medication you take.
Inform your doctor regarding any type of side effects.
Cost of Atenolol/Chlorthalidone (Generic & Brand)
Generic drugs are copies of brand-name drugs. They both contain the same active ingredient. New clinical studies are not needed in case of generic medicines.
This saves a huge amount that need to spend for Research and development of the product. So, Generic medicines are cheap as compared to brand one’s same effect.
Cost of Generic Atenolol / Chlorthalidone.
- Cost of 60 pills of 50 mg/12.5 mg cost $ 15, per unit cost is $ 0.25.
- Cost of 60 pills of 100 mg / 25 mg cost $ 21, per unit cost is 0.35.
Cost of Brand Tenoretic.
- Cost of 60 tablets of 50 mg/25 mg cost $ 775.96, per unit cost is $ 12.94.
- Cost of 60 tablets of 100 mg/25 mg cost $ 338.80 per unit cost is $ 5.65.