Thyroxine Sodium is a prescription medication primarily used for the treatment of thyroid hormone deficiency such as Hyperthyroidism, a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough quantities of hormones. It is also used to treat other disorders associated with the thyroid gland like:
- A severe form of myxedema coma, a life-threatening condition that requires immediate medical intervention. It’s characterized by poor blood circulation, altered mental state, and poor metabolism.
- Prevention of certain types of thyroid tumors. It’s used along with radioiodine therapy and surgery.
- Goiter, an enlarged thyroid gland.
Thyroxine sodium is a thyroid hormone supplement that comes in 12.5 mcg, 25 mcg, 50 mcg, 75 mcg, and 100 mcg. It works in the same way as the natural hormone thyroxine which is normally produced by the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland produces and releases two thyroid hormones, thyroxin and tri-iodothyronine. These two hormones are responsible for maintaining a normal rate of metabolism in the body. When the thyroid gland does not produce sufficient thyroxine hormones, the thyroxine level in the blood drops causing hypothyroidism. This results in a reduced metabolism leading to symptoms such as intolerance to cold, weight gain and tiredness.
Thyroxine sodium replaces the thyroxine that would normally be produced naturally by your thyroid gland. This drug may be used as part of a combination of therapy. You may need to take it along with other medications for your condition. Its main goal includes:
- alleviating symptoms of hypothyroidism
- reduce the size of an enlarged thyroid
- normalizing the thyroid-stimulating hormone or the TSH level
- avoiding overtreatment (becoming hyperthyroid)
Why Buy Thyroxine Sodium?
Thyroxine sodium is available in brand-name drug and generic drug. The generic Thyroxine Sodium is just as safe and effective as the brand names because it has the same FDA-approved active ingredients. It usually costs less than brand-names.
The medication takes effect within 3-5 days of oral administration. The time duration in which the medicine stays in the body depends on the thyroid hormone levels. This medication is safe for used by pregnant or breastfeeding women.
How to Take Thyroxine Sodium?
Your dose is based on your condition and the severity of your condition. The recommended dose for an adult is 1.6 mcg per body kg or as told by your doctor. Do not take in smaller or larger quantities than recommended. Your doctor may likely change your dose over the course of your treatment depending on your response and tolerance to the treatment. The dose for a senior adult is 12.5 to 25 mcg per day and may be adjusted every 6 to 8 weeks based on the thyroid hormone lab results. Take it in the morning on an empty stomach.
What are the side effects of Thyroxine Sodium?
Thyroxine sodium may cause unwanted side effects along with its intended effects. Common side effects are:
- Weight loss
- Increased appetite
- Mood swings
- Heat sensitivity
- Excessive sweating
- Muscle weakness
- Trouble sleeping
- Hair loss
- Stomach cramps
- Change in the menstrual cycle
Mild side effects may go away within a few days of treatment or a couple of weeks. If the side effects become severe, call your doctor.
Serious side effects include:
- Heart attack with symptoms like:
- Discomfort in the upper body
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Heart failure with symptoms like:
- Extreme tiredness
- Unexpected weight gain
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling in the feet, ankle, and legs
- Irregular heart rhythm
We care for your safety
- You may need to take thyroxine sodium for the rest of your life because once your thyroid gland stops producing thyroxine hormone, it will generally not return to its normal function.
- Have a regular blood test to monitor the thyroxine hormone levels in your blood to help your doctor prescribe the correct dosage for your condition. It may take a few weeks for your doctor to establish the right dose for you.
- It’s safe for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding, however, before taking this, consult first with your doctor.
- Do not use this as a treatment for weight loss or to treat obesity.
- Taking a higher dose than recommended can cause life-threatening effects.
- Using this for a long time can decrease bone mineral density which can put you at a higher risk of bone fracture.
- It may take several weeks for the medicine to show effects. Do not stop taking this medication even when the symptoms improve or resolve unless instructed by the doctor.
- This drug may interact with other medications including prescription and non-prescription drugs, vitamins and herbal supplements. To avoid any interactions, inform your doctor about all your medications before taking this medicine.
- Do not use this if:
- You have an excess thyroid hormone in the body due to an overactive thyroid gland or you have hyperthyroidism.
- You are allergic to its active ingredients or any other ingredients present in it.
- You have an untreated condition where your adrenal glands do not produce sufficient steroid hormone.
- You have an episode of heart attack or acute myocardial infarction