Topiramate is a prescription drug. It is used alone to treat:
- Partial onset seizures in adults and children two years of age and older.
- Generalized tonic-clonic seizures in both adults and children.
- Prevention and control seizures in both adults and children.
It can be used along with other drugs to treat seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (a severe form of childhood epilepsy). It is sometimes used off-label to treat:
- Bipolar disorder
- Alcohol dependence
- Borderline personality disorder (BPD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- For controlling binge eating and purging
Topiramate is an antiepileptic or anticonvulsant drug. It works by preventing fits in the brain by stabilizing the electrical nerve activity. It works in three ways:
- It affects the chemical messenger responsible for sending messages between the nerve cells.
- It prevents the sodium from entering the nerve cells to prevent seizure.
- It also enhances the action of GABA, which acts as a natural calming agent.
Why Buy Topiramate?
Topiramate is a potent brain medication. It is approved by the U.S FDA to treat epilepsy in children and adults. It is as well approved by FDA for the prevention of migraine headaches in adults and adolescents 12 years of age and older. Topiramate is available here.
How to Take Topiramate?
Topiramate comes in a capsule and tablet form for you to take orally. Take the medication exactly as directed. Your dose and the duration of your treatment are based on your condition and your age. Usually, your doctor will give you a low dose that you need to take once or twice a day. The best tolerated and most effective dose is 50 mg two times a day.
Take it with or without food. Swallow the tablet or capsule whole with a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine. Do not double up your dose for the missed one.
Things to Remember
- Topiramate can prevent migraine headaches. However, it will not treat a migraine headache once it occurs.
- Take your medication regularly especially for patients with epilepsy.
- Do not stop taking this medication without telling your doctor. A sudden stop can make your condition worse.
- This medication can cause side effects like nausea, pins and needle sensation and stomach distress. In rare cases, this drug can cause an increased intraocular pressure that may impair your vision. If this happens, stop using this drug and seek medical attention right away.
- Do not use this medication if you are pregnant or a breastfeeding woman.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages while using this medication.
- Topiramate can reduce sweating. Make sure that you drink plenty of fluids to avoid flushing and to help keep your body cool.