Treating Acute Migraine with Sumatriptan Nasal Spray
A migraine: – It is a headache disorder. It is expressed as repeated headaches that are moderate to severe. A headache affects one half of the head. It may be due to specific changes in the brain Symptoms include,
- Head pain.
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and smells.
- Eye pain.
- Severe pain on one side of the head. Sometimes it can be on both sides of the head.
Sumatriptan Nasal Spray is use in the treatment of an acute migraine. A migraine occurs due to change in the blood flow to the brain.
How does Sumatriptan Nasal Spray work?
Sumatriptan is in the class of medications called as Triptans. The drug binds to certain receptors that are present on sensory nerves. It works in the following manner.
- Narrows the blood vessel to the brain.
- Stops pain signals that are sent to the brain.
- Block certain natural substance present on a sensory nerve. They cause pain, nausea and other symptoms of a migraine.
All these changes give relief from the symptoms of a Migraine.
Sumatriptan stimulates the receptors in the brain. This cause muscles surrounding the blood vessels in the brain to contract.
How to use Sumatriptan Nasal Spray?
Sumatriptan is available in the form of bottles of Nasal Spray (1 ml).
Dosage is different for a different patient. Ask your doctor for the dose you need.
Adult Dosage: –
- Recommended dose – Single dose into one nostril as required.
- Maximum dose – 40 mg/day.
- Repeat the dose after 2 hours, if this is not sufficient response.
- Use is not recommended for older people with kidney or heart disease.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions in a proper manner.
- Use in children under age 18 years is not established.
- It comes in a spray to inhale through the nose.
- Do not use it for more than 10 days unless your doctor permits you.
- The bottle contains a single dose of medication.
What are the uses of Sumatriptan Nasal Spray?
- It is used for Migraine headaches.
- Helps to relieve headaches and other migraine symptoms.
- Treat symptoms like nausea, vomiting & sensitivity to light/sounds related to a migraine.
- Provides instant relief.
- Decrease your need for other pain medications.
- Affects the certain nerves in the brain to relieve pain.
- Your doctor may reason ask your doctor.
What are the precautions in using Sumatriptan Nasal Spray?
Inform your doctor the medical history of a patient prior to use the above drug. Tell to the above drug.
- Allergic to the above drug.
- Breast Feeding
- Angina chest pain.
- Heart rhythm problem or other heart diseases.
- Liver problems.
- Clogged arteries
- Kidney disease.
- Seizures or epilepsy.
Certain drug may interact with Sumatriptan. Inform your doctor the list of drugs you take.
Cost of Sumatriptan Nasal Spray (Generic and Brand)
Brand drugs are costly as compared to the Generic drug. Their cost increase due to money, time and effort put towards the advertising of the brand drugs. Generic medicines do not need to spend for this. Thus the saved amount helps us to sell the cheap Generic drug.
Cost of Generic Sumatriptan Nasal Spray.
*1 bottle of 10 doses (1ml) cost $ 35.
Cost of Brand Imitrex.
*6 bottles of 5 mg/inh cost $ 504.34, per unit cost is $ 84.06.