Medication that Treats Symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH): – The disease is also called as an enlarged prostate. It is one of the common problems in Men. Some Urinary problems that may be symptoms of BPH are,
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate.
- Difficulty starting urination.
- Unable to empty the bladder.
- A urine stream that stops and starts etc.
It is important to find out underlying causes for the above symptoms to treat it in an early stage. Alfuzosin HCL treats BPH symptoms. It improves the urination in men with BPH. It is common in men over 50 years of age.
How do Alfuzosin HCL works?
Alfuzosin belongs to a class drug called as alpha blockers. It inhibits the alpha adrenergic receptors in the lower urinary tract. A person with BPH face problems with urination. Enlarged prostate may put pressure on the urethra. This can cause uncomfortable urinary symptoms. Alfuzosin HCl relaxes the smooth muscle in the prostate and bladder neck. This allows easy flow of urine.
How to take Alfuzosin HCL?
Alfuzosin HCL is available in the form of a tablet of 10 mg. Take a tablet with the food, same time every day. Swallow whole don’t chew, break or crush drink a lot of liquid.
- Adult: – 10 mg one time in a day.
- Children: – It is not recommended for use in children.
What are the uses of Alfuzosin HCL?
- Alfuzosin HCl treats the symptoms of BPH.
- It relaxes the smooth muscle in the prostate and the bladder.
- Allows easy flow of urine.
- Reduce symptoms of BPH and other urinary problems.
- Provide relief in below-given symptoms.
- Difficulty in beginning the flow of urine.
- Weak stream.
- Need to urinate often or in urgent.
- Your doctor use for some reason.
What are the precautions in taking Alfuzosin HCL?
- Before you take the above medicine, inform your doctor if you have/are.
- Allergy to another drug of the similar class.
- Allergy to food or other substances.
- Liver disease or kidney disease.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Take care regarding certain conditions while you take the above medication.
- Avoid driving or other tasks that need to be alert. The medicine may make you feel drowsy.
- Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Talk with your doctor, if you have upcoming eye surgery.
- The drug is not approved to use in women and children.
- Inform your doctor regarding all other medication you take.
- Examine the patient for prostate cancer prior to use this drug.
- Discontinue the tablet if symptoms of angina appear or worsen.
Cost of Alfuzosin HCl (Generic & Brand)
Generic medications are cheap as compared to Brand ones. Brand drug includes cost spend on research and development, advertising etc. A generic drug contains same active ingredient as in the brand drug. So, the effect remains the same.
- Cost of Generic Alfuzosin HCL.
Pack of 90 tablets of 10 mg costs $ 55, cost of per unit is $ 0.6.
Pack of 90 tablets of 10 mg costs $ 1,924.37, cost of per unit is $ 21.38.