Medication That Treats Glaucoma or Ocular Hypertension
Glaucoma is a set of disease related to the eye. It can lead to blindness by damaging the optic nerve. The fluid called as aqueous is continuously produced in the eyes. This fluid is drained from the eye to maintain healthy eye pressure. Sometimes due to blocked eye canals there occurs fluid accumulation. This fluid causes pressure to build in the eye. The condition is called as glaucoma (open eye type).
Latanoprost is used to treat glaucoma (open eye type) or ocular hypertension.
How does Latanoprost work?
Latanoprost belongs to the class of medications called prostaglandin analogs. In glaucoma, the pressure exerted by the liquid within the eyeball is too great. This pressure can damage optic nerve at the back of the eye.
Latanoprost can control this flow of fluid out of the eye. The drug binds to a specific receptor & increase the flow of the aqueous out of the eye. This can reduce the pressure within the eye. It also reduces the risk of nerve damage and blindness. It can be used in combination with other drugs like timolol for better effect. Latanoprost is approved by the FDA in 1996.
How to use Latanoprost?
It is available in the form of an ophthalmic solution of 2.5 ml (0.005%) bottles. It is an eye drop and is clear colorless liquid.
- Adults: – Recommended therapy is one drop in the affected eye (s) one time in the evening, every day.
- Children: – No data available for an infant less than 36 weeks gestational age. It is not approved for use by patient younger than 18 years old.
- Remove contact lenses before putting the eye drop. You can reinsert after 15 minutes.
- In case of multiple eye drops, instill the other drop 5 minutes apart.
- Use the drops only one time a day in the evening.
What are the uses of Latanoprost?
- Latanoprost is used to treat high pressure inside the eye due to glaucoma.
- It is useful in ocular hypertension.
- Regulates the flow of fluid within the eye which results in lower pressure.
- Lowering pressure inside the eye helps to prevent blindness.
- The drug reduces the fluid pressure by helping to increase the natural flow of fluids out of your eye.
- It may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What are the precautions in using Latanoprost?
- Your Doctor or Health provider guidance is important in certain conditions. Inform your doctor if you are/have.
- Herpes infection of the eyes.
- Develop condition for eye surgery.
- Pregnant or thinking to become pregnant.
- Allergic to above solution.
- Inflammatory eye condition.
- Any other allergies.
- History of macular edema (swelling).
- It can cause a darkening of the iris, the eyelids, and the eyelashes. This is not dangerous.
- It can cause eyelashes to grow longer and thicker.
- It is not approved for use in closure, inflammatory or neovascular glaucoma.
Cost of Latanoprost (Generic and Brand)
Generic drugs have the same active ingredients as brand-name drugs. Generic drugs are cheaper. Brand named drugs are invented. This needs a lot of money to spend on research and development of the drug. They also put a huge amount in advertisement and commissions. So the brand drugs are costlier than Generic drugs.
- Cost of Generic Latanoprost.
- 10 bottles of 2.5 ml (0.005%) costs $ 189, per unit cost is $ 18.9
- 5 bottles of 2.5 ml (0.005%) costs $ 600.10 per unit cost is $ 120.02.