Medication to Prevent Nausea & Vomiting Caused by Cancer Therapy
Cancer is a disease that is caused by body’s own cells. There are different types of cells like liver cells, brain cells etc. In cancer, they undergo uncontrolled division of cells. It leads to a mass cell known as tumor or cancer.
Treatment in cancer includes surgery, radiation therapy etc. It also includes killing or damaging cancer cells in the certain area. Therapy also shows side effects like vomiting and Nausea.
Ondansetron is useful in preventing nausea and vomiting. These are caused by cancer therapy, radiation therapy, and surgery.
How does Ondansetron work?
Ondansetron is in the class of medication called serotonin 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
- Serotonin is present in the vomiting Center of the brain.
- Above drug is design to block uptake of the chemical resulting to minimize nausea and vomiting.
- Serotonin receptors are present in the chemoreceptor trigger zone (CTZ) within the medulla oblongata.
- When serotonin is blocked by Ondansetron there is less serotonin that enters the CTZ (vomiting center).
- This decreases the communication with the vomiting center.
- Thus, the drug helps to reduce the feeling of nausea and vomiting in the cancer patient.
How to take Ondansetron?
Ondansetron is available in the form of a tablet of 4 mg and 8 mg. Take this medicine only a directed by your doctor. You can take the tablet with or without food. The dosage and the number of times you take the drug will depend on,
- Your age.
- The condition being treated.
- How severe your condition is.
- Other medical condition you have.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. You can follow your Doctor’s advice or the directions given on the label.
What are the uses of Ondansetron?
Ondansetron is used to prevent nausea and vomiting in treating,
- Cancer treatment causing moderate vomiting and nausea.
- Cancer treatment causing high vomiting and nausea.
- Post operation condition.
- Radiotherapy in patients receiving,
- Total body exposed to radiations.
- Single high dose fraction to the abdomen.
- Daily fraction to the abdomen.
What are the precautions in taking Ondansetron?
- It is Important to inform your doctor regarding certain conditions while taking this medicine. Ask or tell your doctor if you have/are.
- Allergic to above drug and other similar medicines.
- Any other allergies.
- Medical history of irregular heartbeat.
- Severe liver disease.
- Stomach / intestinal problems.
- Some patients may experience ECG changes including QT prolongation. Inform your doctor regarding the condition.
- Safety and efficacy are unknown in the age group of below 4 years.
Cost of Ondansetron [Generic & Brand]
Generic and Brand drugs contain the very same active ingredient. The difference lies in their cost. Generic drugs are cheaper than Brand versions. They apply different cost-cutting means to provide cheap medicine to our customers.
Cost of Generic Ondansetron.
- Pack of 10 tablets of 4 mg costs $ 10, per unit cost is $ 1.
- Pack of 10 tablets of 8 mg costs $ 16, per unit cost is $ 1.6.
Cost of Brand Zofran.
- Pack of 30 tablets of 4 mg costs $ 736.92, per unit cost is $ 24.56.
- Pack of 30 tablets of 8 mg costs $ 1,221.78, per unit cost is $ 40.73.